What is this plant????

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by tericuff, Jun 26, 2008.

1. tericuff

tericuff Member

I hope someone can help me identify this plant. I thought it was a campanula but a friend of mine was over looking at my garden the other day and told me she didn't think it was but couldn't name what it was. If anyone knows the name of it please let me know. Thank you for your help.

Terry

Attached Files:

2. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

Geranium.

3. tericuff

tericuff Member

What kind of Geranium? I have a Cranesbill Geranium so I know it is not that one.

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

I think it may be Geranium sanguineum. It comes in different colours-from white to pink. There are many named cultivars.

5. Silver surfer

Some pictures...

Attached Files:

6. nic

Sorry, I was a bit abrupt. Geraniums are in general "cranesbill" because of the shape of the seedheads. Yours looks like sanguineum, or "bloody cranesbill", which has a particular attachment to the Burren, an area of limestone pavement in the west of Ireland. I've seen it there, a real treat.
    Campanulas are, in my experience, usually blue or white, but I'm sure someone will point out to me an obvious one that isn't.
    Yours is a very nice plant, growing very well. I have so many now that they have to fight for space in my garden as well as in my memory for their names. They become rather addictive.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  7. Silver surfer

Seed head.Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

8. tericuff

tericuff Member

Thanks for your help, I went back outside and looked again closely and it definately is a "Bloody Cranesbill", I also have it in several of my gardens along with the other Cranesbill Geranium. I have given it away to friends and relatives it just grows bigger every year. I am helping my niece start a perennial garden and trying to give her names of the plants otherwise I don't pay much attention to the names just love to look at them. I am now starting a new shade garden and have been researching for shade plants.

9. nic

Thank you Luddite, that explains very well.
    Lots of geraniums grow well in shady places although they tend to be leggier plants.
    I wonder what the one you know as cranesbill actually is?There are well over a hundred, I've been told, and I've never met one I didn't like.

10. nic

And can you post a pic of it, out of curiosity, please?