What is this Bush?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Bryan Reid, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Bryan Reid

Bryan Reid Member

We purchased a well established property and are new to gardening. I have lots of plants I need to identify. I wish I could post more than one picture. Can anyone help me identify this bush.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Bryan,

I'm going to be upgrading the forum software within a month, so you will soon be able to post more than one picture. The easiest way to do it for the time being is to post a reply to your original message.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Bryan, can you give us another picture? a leaf closeup if possible and an overall picture of the plant. If you are in doubt you can also go to your local nursery professional and bring them some leaves and/or flowers for a positive ID on most things.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

At a glance it could be Mockorange (Philadelphus spp.) but I can't see the leaves well enough to be sure.

5. Bryan Reid

Bryan Reid Member

More Pictures

Jim thanks for the response. Here is another picture and I'll reply again with hopefully a close up of the leave.
    Bryan

Attached Files:

6. Bryan Reid

Bryan Reid Member

Once Again

Thank you as well Daniel. More than one picture that you could shrink or expand would be great. I am working on several plants.

Bryan

Attached Files:

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I can confirm the suggestion that this is a Philadelphus. However, getting more specific than that would require having a flowering branch in hand and a dissecting microscope - the key to Philadelphus in "The European Garden Flora" relies on floral characters (and in particular, the hairiness of various floral parts).