What is the proper name for this red color?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Nik, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

This second year seedling is holding its very dark red color quite well into the summer. I am interested to know what is the right name for this type of “red” for maples. It almost has a bluish iridescence, especially in bright daylight.

Attached Files:

zfrittz and AlainK like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon Nik, 'Burgundy' IMO. Hope it survives into year 3 for you, then all should be fine with this one.

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Here it is (the third one) in comparison to two other reds. Front and back. All 3 are in full sun.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Good morning Nik. Sooo dark, good comparisons shown, hopefully it is a keeper. My darkest leafed maples are Musashino and Starfish. I'll attach photos

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

6. Acerholic

Interesting link Sulev. What in your opinion is the colour of Nik's new maple?

Nik likes this.
  7. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

@Acerholic, I was outside and had only my phone available for checking this forum. Now I reached back to my computer and checked colors with my tools.
    I picked RGB color codes from the photo 2 with a color picker of my photo editor, from the places, where reflection is minimal (most redish parts of the leaves), and got corresponding color names Eggplant (most often), but also Don Juan and Mortar. Parts with more reflection (with bluish hue) got Scarpa Flow, Mulled Wine, Mortar, Black Currant and others.

Burgundy has RGB code: 144, 0, 32
    Eggplant has RGB code: 97, 64, 81, pretty different.

I got Solid Pink, Tawny Port or Camelot for the leftmost leaf on the 3rd photo.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Nik likes this.
  8. Acerholic

That is very scientific indeed Sulev, but if it works it works!! So Eggplant is your choice, @Nik will have to put it next to his leaf to compare. I would never have chosen that, so I bow to your better knowledge. Excellent research Sulev.

9. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I did visual comparision:

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  10. Acerholic

I'm very impressed Sulev.