Westonbirt Orange

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi everyone.

I have a Westonbirt Orange on order from a supplier called Ornamental Trees. I expect to receive the tree around November time, hopefully before the leaves drop. I have found very little information on this tree so far, perhaps because it is a fairly recent cultivar. I was hoping for some opinions, advice and possibly even some pictures.

Hopefully someone out there has some experience with this tree.

Thanks.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, we have it and it's a fast grower. Ours is next to Westonburt Red to give a lovely Autumn contrast. Neither are particularly outstanding during the spring and summer. If you are putting it in the ground give it plenty of space it can reach 4 mtrs. We also have Westonburt Spreading Star and this is also a fast grower. They have a lot more room at Westonburt than we all have and even their older specimens look quite small in that landscape. Careful pruning and shaping is the way to go to keep these under control I think. We have never had anything from Ornamental trees, so let us know what your tree is like in November.

3. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Acerholic. I also have an Ornatum on order with them which should arrive later this month. I will let you know how it goes.

Do you have any pics of the Orange and Red?

4. Acerholic

Here are my two. Purchased last year as small grafts. Haven't got Ornatum, looks an interesting cultivar. Are you shopping after receiving the maple book ?? 20190623_110536.jpg 20190617_121455.jpg

5. Acerholic

Hi Luke, regarding your Ornatum on order, it looks very similar to the bright orange dissectum on the Portland Japanese garden on YouTube. The end of the video shows it at it's best and in slow motion with the leaves falling. 'Just stunning'.
    If you haven't seen the video, then take a look, the garden is on my wife and I bucket list to visit one day. This maple I think is probably the most photographed maple in the world?
    If anybody knows the name of this cultivar I would love to know what it is???

6. Luke’s Maples

It is indeed believed to be Ornatum. Yes I have seen the video and many pictures - which is how this cultivar ended up on my “wanted” list. Very exciting!

7. Luke’s Maples

Of course I do realise I probably will not live to see it looking as magnificent as the one in Portland. Perhaps my children will though.

8. Acerholic

Excellent thanks Luke, just bit the bullet and ordered a small one. Agree it will take years to become a Portland tree, but we can enjoy training and shaping it over the years and the colours will still be there to enjoy every year. My wife has just said, "NOT ANOTHER ONE" !!!!!!!! A large one costs over £515, silly money. I'm looking forward to my order from Lotta in September; 7 small ones, they are great fun to train and shape. We have really run out of room now so trying to stop buying . But maybe one more lol.

9. Luke’s Maples

Mine is only a 5ltr but cost about £30. I can not justify (to my wife) spending hundreds. I agree that it will still be exciting to watch it grow and enjoy the colours.

10. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Another cultivar (Ornatum) which prefers to be in the ground , yes they will thrive in containers but you won't see the firery orange much in the fall it will tend to be more crimson than orange.
    Excellent colour changes through the year very pretty tree , also a quick grower when in the ground , will form a lovely mound shape.

11. Acerholic

Hi ROEBUK, thanks for the info on Ornatum, ours will stay in a pot for this year and planted in the ground on a mound hopefully next season when house move gives us a bigger garden. I know we will never see it at it's best due to our age but we will get the best we can out of it for as long as we can. PS still looking forward to your 2019 YouTube on all your lovely maples.