weeds under future deck

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Vertical Veggies, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Vertical Veggies

Vertical Veggies Member

Hey all,

This is the corner Im working on, I am planting 2 plum trees on either side, then plan to use some pressure treated patio wood to build a deck in between, all the way up to the driveway.

I was wondering about this garden of weeds and crab grass, I dug it all up and flipped it over to kill the roots, but the stuff keeps coming back. I plan just cover it up and leave it under the deck.

What should I do to ensure that nothing grows? Will that landscape fabric dbled up work? or that and some plastic over top or under the fabric?

Pic1 is the way it looked as of today
    weeds.jpg
    pic2 is what it used to look like before I upturned everything
    weeds1.jpg
    pic3 is close up of the grass and roots and stuff
    weeds2.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions

2. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Do you really need to be sure nothing grows down there? Nature being what it is, living things do have a way of sneaking in -- but does it really matter? Beneath the almost total shade of the deck, I shouldn't think that any noxious specimens will get a toe-hold down there. A few straggling grasses won't hurt anything, will they?

3. Buddleia

Buddleia Active Member 10 Years

You could go to the expense and trouble of putting down landscape fabric but most people don't bother because it's shaded and nothing will grow anyway under there. Maybe around the edges something might creep in there but it should be pretty easy to hand weed.

4. Vertical Veggies

Vertical Veggies Member

thank you so much for your replies.

I am a little over zealous when it comes to weeds, its because when I look at my knees as we speak, it disgusts me as to how much time ive spent this spring and summer on them, pulling out the little buggers, the 3 different types of dandelions, the morning glory, 3 other invasive weeds I dont know the name of, OMG its a nightmare,

I really want to take care of the issue before I cover it up with a deck and lose access to underneath.

Thanks again

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i would put a double layer of the landscape stuff around the perimeter - just where the weeds would be likely to grow under the decking...the rest of it, being in total shade, shouldn't be an issue.

6. Vertical Veggies

Vertical Veggies Member

Hi, thanks for that reply. Ya, the sides that are exposed seem to be where the punks like to sprout up.

DEATH TO ALL WEEDS!!!!