Watermellon.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I am assuming watermellons can be classified as succulents. This year I have a perfect site prepared for for watermellon. I grew four perfect plants in individual pots and transplanted them in the garden with absolutely no root disturbance on 24 May. They looked great for about three days then wilted and died. I tried watering and withholding water to no avail.

Now the real question is: I did not condition these plants extensively. I think my wilting problem was lack of about a two weeks conditioning. Can anyone verify this assumption?
    Anyway I bought four muskmellon and two sugarbaby plants and they are doing well.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to fruits and veggies - Wikipedia has a good definition of succulents)

3. Durgan

After searching the web for some time, I think the answer to my question as to why the perfect transplanted watermellon plants died is: Water must be withheld for two weeks before transplanting. My plants were perfect but full of water. I suspect in the sun they simply swelled and died. I wont know for sure until I try again next year. In my Zone 5 one only gets one chance each season.
    Durgan.

4. Boogamil

Boogamil Member

Durgan,

I grew watermelon last year and didn’t withhold water before bringing them to the garden and they seemed fine. I suspect that it may also have had something to do with the poor weather that we had during the holiday weekend. Didn’t we also have frost the one morning after holiday weekend?

My understanding is that the watermelon needs a high soil temperature to grow properly. I haven’t tried this with watermelon, but I’ve successfully grown pumpkins in the compost pile. I’ve read that the same thing works for watermelon as well.

5. Durgan

The damage wasn't frost. I noticed one day about two week previous that I watered the plants and put them outside on a bright warm sunny day. In a short time they all wilted. I assumed at the time that it was over-watering. I put them back in the greenhouse and they perked up the next day and were fine. The lesson, if there was one, simply passed over my head. I do admit that there were some cool days about the time they were out, but I covered them carefully, and the wilting was almost instantaneous during daylight hours. I noticed one plant wilting one day and the three other in sympathy joined it the next day. Anyway I will take more precautions next year, just to be safe. What really saddens me if the plants were so magnificient. Such is life.

6. Boogamil

Boogamil Member

I find the greatest damage that my garden suffers is from my vegetable eating dog and my 'helpful' two year-old.

7. Durgan

Ah! That is why one grows extras. All must have their fun and entertainment. I must admit my garden is full of dog tracks due to her inspection tours. I tolerate it.
    Durgan.

8. Fossil

Fossil Active Member 10 Years

Last year I bought watermelon plants from the local nursery - they struggled for a couple of months & when they had very small fruit they died. This year I grew my own from seed and being the most impatient gardener in the world, planted them out a couple of days after I put the seedlings out to harden off. I am really impressed at their growth - but they have NO fruit! I have come to the conclusion these are probably "if" plants - IF they grow it is great - IF they don't at least it was fun trying!