Vitex agnus castus

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by AlainK, Aug 13, 2021.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I don't know how well it fares in BC, but for hot climates, Vitex agnus castus is a great tree that resists drought once established, and displays violet flowers that the bees and other insects love.

It can be pruned drastically when it gets too big, it will backbud on old wood. And it's easy to reproduce by cuttings, even with branches 1cm thick : just plant it in grow soil and keep it frost-free, the chances it will root are very high.

I put my 'Hana matoi' next to it for the contrast :

vitex-agnus-castus_210813a.jpg vitex-agnus-castus_210813b.jpg

I should have planted my Hibiscus syriacus next to it, they flower at about the same time and have similar requirements. But it's already nearly 2 m. tall, so it's a bit difficult to move it now. It's also a cutting (about 15 cm long), taken in late February and that I took from a street plant that was on the other side of the street.

hibiscus-syr_210813a.jpg hibiscus-syr_210813b.jpg

Nik and Margot like this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Vitex agnus-castus seems to do well around here, though I don't know if it's common in home gardens. I posted one at UBCBG in 2015 at August 19, 2015 - Blues.
    There were still some flowers on one I saw at Dart's Hill Garden in Surrey, BC (just south of Vancouver), last October.
    Vitex agnus-castus_DartsHill_Cutler_20201018_142554.jpg Vitex agnus-castus_DartsHill_Cutler_20201018_142605.jpg Vitex agnus-castus_DartsHill_Cutler_20201018_142511.jpg Vitex agnus-castus_DartsHill_Cutler_20201018_142709.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Nik, Margot and AlainK like this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

While trying to make sure what I posted in English was correct, I saw that there are other colours, like pink.