Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Autumn joy is a translation of 'Herbstfreude' which is the actual cultivar name, given by the introducer of the plant.

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thank you! I was wondering why Douglas Justice mentioned autumn joy without the cultivar quotes in his August 2020 In the Neighbourhood - UBC Botanical Garden blog (August 24-31). And in that blog, I learned that these "sedums" now suffer with the genus name Hylotelephium, which name I can now come up with after only a few seconds putting it back together after my hints on parts of the name. Douglas also notes that "'Herbstfreude' (autumn joy) [...] is a hybrid of H. spectabile and H. telephium."

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning and although we are well into September now and it is getting strangely warmer and warmer once again, there are many signs of Autumn in my garden. The leaves on my Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Katsura' tree has lovely Autumn colours, with the added benefit of the wonderful toffee apple scent when you brush against the leaves.
    Can only share a photo, but wish I could share that smell with you all, it really is delightful.

Attached Files:

5. Margot

I had never heard before that the Katsura had a scent - and a lovely one at that. Another asset for an elegant tree!

6. Acerholic

@Margot We have them next to a path, so that you get the most effect when you walk by. Yes it is an elegant tree and who cannot love the smell of toffee apples and the memories of childhood that returns ever time you smell it !!!?

7. Acerholic

Good morning, this year continues to throw up new things. In my garden atm I have Hostas starting to produce new flowers. Never seen this in September before !!!?
    So as this one was looking pretty I thought I would share it.
    It's my Hosta 'Revolution'.

Attached Files:

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  8. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Some of the first real signs of Fall in my gardens....

Asters are starting to open
    Hardy cyclamen are popping up everywhere

Last image shows my large tropicals that have been cleaned and prepared to come inside: Carica pentagona (babaco papaya - I drastically chopped this one back this past spring so it would fit inside the house now), musa 'Manzano' (apple banana), musa 'Dwarf Cavendish' (dwarf banana), Ensete ventricosum (abyssinian banana) and last pot is some variety of passiflora (this plant was given to me with no information last year so now I have to wait until it flowers to try to identify it).
    These large plants spend from May until mid-September outside and then are moved into the basement "Plant Room" for the winter....as well as any very young plants and tropical succulents.

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

@pmurphy Good evening P, when Asters start to bloom it really is nature saying to us, Autumn is upon us. They are really lovely dark pinks to brighten the shortening days there in Vancouver.

Sounds like you have been very busy with your outdoor indoor plants.

What a month is September. So much to do in the garden in preparation for next Spring, with the planning and planting of bulbs that gives us all that hope of wonderful things to come.....

10. wcutler

I looked that up, found a video by a guy showing off his. It looks like he lives on Salt Spring Island (one of the Gulf Islands off the coast from Vancouver) and grows several other bananas.

11. Margot

These are the last of what my garden has to offer until the earliest Hellebores begin to bloom in a month or two.

It would be a sunny day here today if not for all the smoke drifting up from the terrible wildfires south of the border.

Darmera peltata - looking very fine for so late in the season
    Fuchsia magellanica - hummingbirds really appreciate the extended blooming
    Garlic chives - Allium tuberosum
    Scabiosa columbaria
    - very drought-tolerant - and pretty
    Hydrangea quercifolia - just starting to change colour
    Sedum spectabile 'Brilliant' - possibly S. 'Autumn Joy'
    Polypodium glycyrrhiza - putting out new fronds for winter
    Blackberry - Rubus armeniacus starting to take over at an alarming rate
    Zauschneria garrettii ‘Orange Carpet’ - good thing I like the colour orange

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Nik, pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  12. Acerholic

@Margot Love your Hydrangea quercifolia. That really does say Autumn.
    So sorry to hear about the smoke Margot. Another member earlier was saying about it in Oregon today, quite a worry, especially as there seems no end in sight atm.
    Hope the colours in your garden give you some cheer. Very thoughtful of you to share these in the circumstances.

13. Acerholic

Good morning, as Autumn is fast approaching I thought I would add my Cryptomeria Japonica Sekkan Sugi with my Acer palmatum Beni Maiko behind to show how one compliments the other in my garden, especially at this time of the year.

Attached Files:

pmurphy, Nik and Margot like this.
  14. Nik

Nik Contributor

The different varieties of moss are in their prime this time of year. Here are some examples.

Attached Files:

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  15. Acerholic

Moss is not given the credit it deserves in a garden, always seen as an enemy to a lawn. Lovely examples N @Nik.

16. Nik

Nik Contributor

And it comes in handy for arrangements for the table for dinner parties. Here are two from last winter (pre-pandemic), a week after I made them and used them, before disassembly. They consisted of home-grown Cymbidium flower, on top of moss from the yard, on top of black river stones, in a glass cylinder.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

There you go , 'moss is so versatile'. A lovely display for your dinner party N.

18. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Brent Horvath, The Plant Lover's Guide to Sedums (2014, Timber Press, Portland) gives preference to the combination Hylotelephium spectabile 'Brilliant'.

Last year, I learned that in 2017, Marcel Rejmánek, a scientist at Davis, California, had published Rubus præcox: a newly recognized invasive blackberry in California. Rejmánek explained that at least two Rubus species have been called Himalaya Blackberry.

Plant of the Month

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2020
  19. Acerholic

Good morning, I thought as there was some early dew today, I would show my Hosta 'Orange marmalade'. They do love this moisture at this time of the year !!!

Attached Files:

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  20. Acerholic

Good morning, with all this September heat, I am getting new flowers appearing everywhere in my garden. Here is my Hydrangea paniculata 'Great star' a few minutes ago.

Attached Files:

Nik and Margot like this.
  21. pmurphy

I took a quick wander in the gardens today (not as smokey but I didn't want to be outside too much) to check on the fish and water features. Everything is winding down now, and I can see all the Fall work that has to be done, but some plants seem to have decided to give it "one last hurrah".

Hardy begonia
    Blue passion vine - leaves are starting to turn yellow but one last show of color
    Pink dogwood - fruit is ripe and leaves are turning
    California lilac - one last flower cluster
    Hardy fuchsia - there are now more seed pods than flowers
    Climbing blueberry - fruit is now ripe and leaves starting to drop

“I grow plants for many reasons: to please my eye or to please my soul, to challenge the elements or to challenge my patience, for novelty or for nostalgia, but mostly for the joy in seeing them grow.”
    David Hobson

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  22. Acerholic

@pmurphy lovley photos P and lovely words by David Hobson. The last 9 words of which is why I garden.
    So many wonderful quotes coming through on the forum today.

23. wcutler

I had forgotten about Billardiera, which I photographed in the beginning of November three years ago at Abkhazi Garden in Victoria. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Is this Begonia grandis? It still looks very fresh in a nearby garden in the West End. I made a note that there is a cultivar called 'Heron's Pirouette' that looks similar. So many of the flowers are female, and they were hanging in such a decorative arrangement.
    Begonia-grandis_ChilcoComox_Cutler_20200914_162458.jpg Begonia-grandis_ChilcoComox_Cutler_20200914_162506.jpg

Nik, pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  24. Acerholic

Looks like Begonia grandis to me. A hardy Begonia. I believe it is Winter hardy.

wcutler likes this.
  25. pmurphy

Yes, and yes it is winter hardy; zone 6/7

wcutler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.