Identification: unknown mushroom

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by caninegrrl, Jul 4, 2008.

1. caninegrrl

caninegrrl Member

My parents have this mushroom growing in their front yard. I have searched all over the internet and can't find a picture of anything like it. Does anyone know what kind this is? They have a dog that keeps sniffing around it and they are worried that he may try to eat it. They keep removing it, but of course it just grows back.

DSC02894.JPG

2. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Laetiporus sulphureus, edible when young (but not good)

3. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

Yes, I thought Laetiporus sulphureus. It looks odd growing on a lawn - is there a stump underneath?

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

ohhh I'll argue the 'not good' part...I finally got brave enuf to try? And these are delicious! (when young) Fry them in butter and put in pasta dishes or eggs...they've a wonderful flaver and a completely different texture then the 'typical' store mushrooms. Awesome find in the YARD!

5. wildgardner

wildgardner Member

YUM! These are great grilled! It is strange that it grew in the lawn though....make sure it has no gills and is yellow underneath to rule out any other type although nothing else really looks like it.

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

they can also have white undersides and be edible (the type that grow around me do).........but no gills!

7. Michael Kuo

Michael Kuo Active Member

That's Laetiporus cincinnatus, which has a white pore surface and grows at the bases of oaks. Laetiporus sulphureus has a yellow to orange pore sruface and grows above ground on logs, branches, stumps, living trees, etc.
    http://www.mushroomexpert.com/laetiporus_cincinnatus.html
    Best wishes, Michael

8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

sorry...I wasn't trying to make a confusion here? I had one posted earlier on this site...I just didn't want to give unfair notice that only the ones that look like this with YELLOW undersides were the edible mushrooms. the actual Laetiporus cincinnatus which LOOKS like the sulfur shelf is also edible and tasty. :o)