Identification: Unidentified house plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Sep 26, 2003.

1. I got some seedling plants from a coworker whose adult plant dropped seeds that just sprang right up. They are unsure of the origin of this plant, as they got it from someone, who got it from someone, etc.

A short description: Single-stem, mature plants less than 30cm in total height, green leaves with red stems and very pronounced white veins. Leaves grow straight out of the top of the plant and fold out in various directions, with lower leaves eventually falling off. Mature plants develop a dry brownish skin on the main stem, as well as rows of red hairs between where the leaves fold out on the top. Seeds come out of the red hairs.

If anyone can name this plant, or give me details about it, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Skor Grimm

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2003
  2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

What an excellent image! Unfortunately, a number of us are scratching our heads over this identification. At first glance, it looks very much like a Peperomia species, but unlike any I can find illustrated anywhere.

Is it possible to see a picture of the adult plant? Does it differ significantly from the seedlings? Are the silvery veins more or less prominent as the plant gets older? How large do the leaves become? A photograph of the flowers or flower stalk would also be very useful.

3. skorgrimm

skorgrimm Member

More details

Douglas,
    Thank you for the reply. I have had someone else suggest that it may be a member of the Peperomia species, but I am doubtful, based on the pictures I have seen of other varieties of Peperomia. I will take a picture tomorrow of the adult plant here in the office and post it. Note that in the attached picture are four separate seedlings, each with a single stem growing straight up, and leaves at the top only.

Thanks again,

Skor Grimm

4. skorgrimm

skorgrimm Member

Plant Identified!

Hello everyone, I just thought I would let you all know that I was able to identify my plant, with the help of Darlene K. Kittle of AllExperts.com. It is Euphorbia leuconeura (common name Madagascar Jewel), from Madagascar. Here are some links to pages with info about it, if anyone is interested:

General Info and pictures of a large, full-grown plant:
    http://florawww.eeb.uconn.edu/acc_num/199900088.html

A picture of one at a nearly identical stage as mine are:
    http://public.fotki.com/cactus/succulents/euphorbia/may312001_image21.html

A ton of pictures, including weekly pictures of some growing seedlings:
    http://home.tiscali.nl/~robschev/euphorbia.htm

Thanks for your help!

Also, attached is the promised picture of the adult plant that I got mine from.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2003
  5. Thanks

So that's what it is!

I have one that is 16 years old - received it from a friends mother, who found it at a garage sale. I never knew exactly what it was, although I suspected Euphorbia.

I can tell you this - it is easy to grow. It hates drafts and loves sun. If you place it in the right spot, it will have more even growth on the stem. Water it when the leaves droop. It roots readily from the stem, if your cat knocks over the planter.

If you are very quiet when the seeds drop, you can hear the seeds shoot away from the mother plant. I have picked them up 5 feet away.

Sylvia - Bellingham, WA

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Wow! Does that plant ever change it's as it grows! I would have never thought Euphorbia leuconeura as it looks now...
    I thought maybe it was a new cultivar of peperomia and I was going to have to find one.