two trees i have been growing.please help!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by fannon, Aug 8, 2010.

1. fannon

fannon Member

i have been growing these 2 trees for a year and a bit.the person i got them from said they were conker trees.(horsechesnut) so for the past year i have believed this.i then planted my own conkers and as they grew i found they have different leaves to the ones i was given.they are probably really easy to identify but thanks for reading

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks like an Acer (Maple) to me.

3. fannon

fannon Member

thanks but i dont think it is as i looked up acer maple in google images and the leaves on those do look similar but they are more pointed. any more suggestions?

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

5. fannon

fannon Member

yea thanks there are a few pictures in that link that look the same as my ones.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, Acer pseudoplatanus.

7. fannon

fannon Member

yes thats it,thanks to all. whilst its on does anyone know why my leaves on the left tree are wilting and turning yellow/brown?

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably a problem at the roots.

9. fannon

fannon Member

ok, anything i can do to help it? Is it a disease or a bug or something like that?

10. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

Check to see if it is root bound by gently tapping or shaking it out of the pot. If the roots are going in circles it needs a gentle trim to keep it in the same size range or a bigger pot (if it's been in the same one a year this is probably part of it)and a gentle detangling of the roots running in circles to help its roots spread out. If it doesn't need a bigger pot, you may be able to see the problem when you do this. Look for odd bumps on roots, areas that are brown and squishy, mold in the dirt around the edges of the pot/near the roots, excess moisture in the soil around the roots and bottom of the pot, bugs, ect.... Basically if the roots are not healthy it should be fairly easy to see the problem by comparing to the rest of the root structure or comparing to your other maple's roots.

Fixing the problem once you know what it is may be the hard part depending on whether it is just root bound or whether it is another issue. Once you find the issue, if you need help figuring out how to fix it, post some more! Lots of people here are knowledgeable on fixing plant problems and willing to help.

11. fannon

fannon Member

brilliant thanks ill try that

12. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Acer pseudoplatanus, common name Sycamore is a very fast growing tree, with large leaves. Given the space it will grow HUGE. It is really not the ideal tree to try and keep confined to a pot. It will never flourish and be happy.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:46&biw=1243&bih=528

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...=1t:429,r:4,s:24&tx=48&ty=78&biw=1255&bih=537

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_pseudoplatanus

Far better to chose a tree that would be happy in a pot, such as Acer palmatum. One of the beautiful cut leafed ones, or ones with interesting colour to the leaves in the spring and autumn.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=e...=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1255&bih=537

13. fannon

fannon Member

ok very helpful thank you. so when is the best time to plant them out? i would not let the 2 trees get too big.can you prune them each year to keep them at a reasonable height?

14. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not really, no. If you do, they'll get to look very ugly. Best to find somewhere o plant them where they can grow naturally to their full size.