Identification: Two mushrooms from Harvey County, KS

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by DWelfelt, Nov 4, 2008.

1. DWelfelt

DWelfelt Member

The mushrooms sprouting out of the trees were in November of 2007. The other one is common and I see quite often.

Attached Files:

2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Those white ones are fabulous! If anyone has ideas on their ID's I'd love to know as I've found some similiar? No idea what they are................
    Do you know what kind of wood they were growing from?
    The 2nd photos looks VERY much like Winter Mushrooms...or Flammulina velutipes...I've seen them sprout out of mud as well as live or dead trees....

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Do you have any top shots of the first one? If the cap top has these sort of faint circular patterns, and if it's growing on a hardwood, then I'd put forward as a possibility Hypsizygus sp.

I saw this mushroom for the first time ever this year: Before this, I did not know it grew in NA, as I was used to seeing the name in the context of commercially traded edibles overseas.

cheers,
    frog

4. Stilbella

Stilbella Active Member

That's exactly what it looks like! Good call, Frog!

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

So depending on the type of tree...would say which kind of Oyster it is maybe? I've NEVER seen oysters with such distinct seperation of the stem/gills.......very beautiful!

6. DWelfelt

DWelfelt Member

As i remember, the white ones spout from green ash trees. I'll have to check my photos to see if i have a top view.

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Heya....the photos below show why I'm confused about the ID for the first ones u have? the white.......
    All the Oyster mushrooms we have in Atchison have a completely different look.....I'm sorry if it's just a 'look' but I'm not positive on that ID yet?
    On all the Oysters that I've seen the stem is distinctly ridged right up into the edge of the cap? Not sure if I'm making sense here........and althought I've seen colors from pure white..to gold with light purple...to the 2nd image that has the brown caps...they all had the similar look of the grooved stem....would love to know if there IS different variety to their look!

Attached Files:

• xb.jpg
      xb.jpg
      File size:
      99.2 KB
      Views:
    • x.jpg
      x.jpg
      File size:
      155 KB
      Views:
  8. Frog

It's unlikely to be an oyster: Although there are Pleurotus with stems, even non-lateral ones, I've not heard of a Pleurotus with non-decurrent gills.
    cheers,
    frog

9. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Am I misunderstanding here? I thought u said earlier on here u felt this was a Hypsizygus? Am I getting my families wrong? Thought that was what the Oysters were? UGH...help me Frog! lol

10. Frog

Hey there C.Wick!
    I'm really unfamiliar with Hypsizygus, so perhaps its english/common name is also Oyster?
    The mushrooms I'm familiar with which are called oysters are Pleurotus, Pleurocybella and Panellus, which all have similar shape and other characters. Plus false oysters like Crepidotus and... ok, that's all that comes to mind right now.
    I've no idea who the relatives of Hypsizygus sp. are.
    Would be interesting to hear more info on this mushroom!
    cheers,
    frog

11. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

AHHH...ok...and I just realized u'r up in Vancouver...so I'm sure there's different names there then here also...
    Here's a link to Tom Volk's site....
    http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/oct98.html
    I've heard people say these taste/smell/look like oysters.....to me they taste wonderful and non-fishy...they smell like MUSHROOMS...again...non-fishy...however...when pure white and viewed from above? they DO look like oyster shells...lol

12. Michael Kuo

Michael Kuo Active Member

C. and Frog: The confusion might come from the common name "elm oyster," which is sometimes applied to Hypsizygus ulmarius. C, here's a page written by my friend Ron Meyers, who is in Kansas (like you and D Welfelt):

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/hypsizygus_ulmarius.html

This looks like a good match for the first photo posted. I agree that the second photo looks like a Flammulina--possibly F. populicola, if those are cottonwood leaves (it's kind of hard to tell; one of the leaves looks cottonwood-ish, but the others are oak-ish):

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/flammulina_populicola.html

The photos C. posted look like they represent Pleurotus species to me.

Best wishes,
    Michael

13. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Thanx so much Michael for that...I was getting even MORE confused as the conversation went on. lol Appreciate the links to help clear that.
    C.Wick

14. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

So glad for this post as I finally DID find a couple today! Otherwise I'd have been completely lost as to an ID!