Twisted Hibiscus Tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by bearslide, May 21, 2006.

1. bearslide

bearslide Member

Hello all;

I am new to this forum and found it while searching for information on a hibiscus I have.

I bought it 2 years ago at Lowes, but I'm not sure what it is called. It is a hibiscus, big red blossoms with yellow stamens. It looks like maybe it started as a shrub and was trained to tree height. The lower part (trunk) is twisted and interwoven, with the top the actual hibiscus shrub. I don't think it's a graft - new hibiscus buds appear from time to time all along the trunk. It is now about 5 feet tall.

My problem is this: the first winter I kept it in, I pruned it lightly and kept it in a southern window, watered frequently and it did great - bloomed all winter. When I went to put it back out last spring, it had gotten too big for it's britches, so I re-potted. It grew and bloomed nicely all summer. Again, I brought it in for the winter, and it stayed healthy, but didn't bloom as heavily. Plus, it started kind of growing all over the place. It is now rather large and top heavy, with healthy green leaves at the end of the branches, but few leaves on the branches close to the trunk. It is getting too large, I believe it is root-bound and it is totally out of shape.

I realize now I should have pruned it and probably trimmed the roots when I re-potted. Does anyone have a hibiscus like this? I have to do something to get it back under control - is it too late to trim the roots and prune it shape it up? Although the leaves appear healthy, it is not blooming as it normally does this time of year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!