Turkish Erik/Jarareng fruit tree in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by sthorout, May 10, 2012.

1. sthorout

sthorout Member

Hi,
    On a trip to Turkey I fell in love with this small sour plum/cherry and would love to be able to grow it in my garden. I've found it in Italy as well and its called Jarareng in Lebanon. I'm not sure what it would be called in North America or where I could get it or if I can even grow it.
    We have a south facing backyard in Vancouver with lots of sun that gets hot in the summer.
    Can someone help me out? Thanks,
    Scott

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cultivar/botanical name could really improve results for you here.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

A bit of Web research turned up the following likely but not certain identification for this plum. It seems to be the Greengage variety of the European plum, Prunus domestica. According to the Turkish Cultural Foundation they eat them while they are crisp and not yet ripe, which agrees with many other Websites that indicate a very early season (April and May) for the plum called Canerik or Can Erik.

You should be able to buy and grow Greengage plums locally, although I haven't personally tried.

4. sthorout

sthorout Member

Thank you for the tip, I'll narrow it down next time, Ron.
    Vitog, I'll check into it and hopefully it will work out, thanks for the help. Can't wait to try it out.

5. nazo

nazo Member

Hi Sthorout,
    Have you found Turkish Can Erik tree yet? I am from Turkey and i like to plant one.
    NE

6. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

If they are greengage plums they are available locally. I have a couple in my orchard and they do quite well.