Tree ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Jonathan, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

There are hundreds of trees in my small city that turn completely blue/purple with beautiful flowers during their flowering season, and they also lack green foliage during this time, They arent in bloom right now but I collected some seed pods from the tree and maybe this combined info can lead someone to an answer.

[​IMG]

2. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

Jacaranda mimosifolia?

3. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

You've been bitten by the Jacaranda bug.......a word of warning though.....the flowers (the purple/Blue things)....aside from amking a hell of mess all over the place when they fall.....stain the concrete etc like you wouldn't believe.....

Good Luch with it....

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Thank you for your replys

5. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

I am finding it difficult to reconcile the fruits in your pic with fruits of Jacaranda. They look more like Koelreuteria, which has yellow flowers. Is it possible they came from a different tree?

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Tony - it might just be the angle that the photograph was taken. I agree it resembles Koelreuteria (particularly because of the size of the image), but I can also see how it could be the fruits of Jacaranda.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

My bad, you guys are 100% correct, those pods are from the tree right next to the Jacaranda tree, the Jacaranda pods are flat while the ones I posted look like paper lanterns.