transplanting mature bloodgood maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by johnr, Apr 28, 2007.

1. johnr

johnr Member

any suggestions plz i transplanted a 35 year old bloodgood maple in the last week of march . i noticed today that some of the leaves are wilting i transplanted it with 4kgs of bonemeal no fertilizer was added, should i be adding some or what else can i do

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

the important thing is how big of a rootball did you get and is it getting enough water. fertilizer isnt likely to change the survival chances at this point.

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I thought bonemeal was a form of slow release fertiliser?
    Water is probably your problem. With transplanting you have lost many of the fine feeding roots. You have to try to keep the tree moist whilst it tries to replace those. Transplanting a tree which was 35 years old would have required a fairly massive root ball. If it survives (and I hope it does) it will need watering regularly

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Use liquid fertilize dedicate for tranplanting and ask to nursery for advice, this tree (I tink more big!)have need of care dedicate ,the wind in this season, for many hours cause similar effect on leaves; please send (if possible) one pic of this acer 35 years old!!!(°_°)alex

5. johnr

johnr Member

the root ball was 6 feet in diamiter i had not been watering to regular because it has been raining a lot in langley thanst for your suggestions johnr