Identification: Translucent white blobs

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by David Wong, Nov 30, 2018.

1. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Found in Richmond. These are very distinctive and beautiful. What are they?

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi David - Interesting find - I'm not certain what this is. One possibility is Tremella globispora. What was the habitat (living/dead branch/trunk hardwood/conifer)?

3. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

They were on a fallen dead log on the ground at Richmond Nature Park. Not sure what kind of tree it was.

4. Frog

Thanks David - If you run into something like this again, please note not only the nature of the substrate but also the presence of any other fungal fruitbodies nearby, as that may help with ID, at least a bit. Likely requires microscopy ... the possible IDs (not just species but genera) multiply the more I look into this. Due to the late and very great Dr. Robert Bandoni, we have more records of gelatinous fungi confirmed to be present in this region than most places would be aware of.

David Wong likes this.
  5. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

I will bring a notebook next time. Thank you for the pointers.
    Did Dr. Robert Bandoni publish any books for the general public, other than scientific papers?

6. Frog

He did, but I don't know of any books that focused on the jelly fungi.
    He was co-author of a book on BC fungi that used to be THE book on BC fungi back in the day - I still have a copy.
    He was good at speaking in plain language on technical matters, so I think it would have been a great book on jelly fungi, but likely there was no perceived general-public audience for it at that time, at least here.

@Daniel Mosquin - would you perhaps know of any accessible writings on jellies by Dr. Bandoni?

7. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

I remember in my career, the most knowledgeable and best teachers are those who explain things in plain language on technical matters, as compared to those who give talks with undigested materials and tens of complicated graphs.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Frog likes this.
  8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry, no, none that I'm aware of!

9. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

It is our loss.

10. Frog

Thanks @Daniel Mosquin - and yes I agree David.
    I suspect that if he did put out any non-technical material, it might have been in Japan, as I think they appreciated him more widely/popularly that we did perhaps.

11. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

I guess because of language barrier, we read materials from Europe and North America and hardly any from other countries. Perhaps Dr. Bandoni did some work or taught in Japan at some point.