Appreciation: Three in the Greig Rhododendron Garden

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by wcutler, May 11, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This garden in Stanley Park borders the pitch and putt golf course. Rhododendrons are featured, but there are lots of other plants - a magnolia path, and camellia path, several ornamental cherries, many perennials, some great clumps of Gunnera. Here are just a few rhododendrons in bloom.
    StanleyPark-GriegRhodyGarden_Cutler_20200509_143632.jpg

Nothing is labelled, but there is a document: https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/ted-and-mary-greig-garden-50-rhododendrons-of-interest.pdf, and I think for once that my plant of interest is in it. It fits the description for 'May Day' not only in its timing but the description is: " ...a curtain of red, its tabular campanulate flowers drooping in dense fan-like trusses. This plant also features attractive matte green leaves that have thick, fuzzy cinnamon brown indumentum on their undersides. 'May Day' has a rather dishevelled habit, and will grow wider than it will tall."
    Rhododendrum-MayDay_StanleyPark-GriegRhodyGarden_Cutler_20200509_143930.jpg Rhododendrum-MayDay_StanleyPark-GriegRhodyGarden_Cutler_20200509_144005.jpg Rhododendrum-MayDay_StanleyPark-GriegRhodyGarden_Cutler_20200509_144039.jpg

I have posted Rhododendron calendulaceum at UBCBG in previous years. Surely that's what this deciduous azalea is, with its flame-looking buds and hairs on everything [edited, not it's not, see below].
    Rhododendrum-calendulaceum_StanleyPark-GriegRhodyGarden_Cutler_20200509_143805.jpg

I don't know what this yellow flowered azalea is. I guess I just like it because it's yellow and has hairy buds.
    Rhododendrum-BrightYellow_StanleyPark-GriegRhodyGarden_Cutler_20200509_144219.jpg Rhododendrum-BrightYellow_StanleyPark-GriegRhodyGarden_Cutler_20200509_144240.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Acerholic likes this.
  2. wcutler

I would just like to say that I looked up the spelling of the garden name on the document title that I referenced (and I look it up every time I write the name) where the last name is spelled Grieg. On the file name, however, I see that it is spelled greig. There is another document in which it is Greig, so I have changed my thread title, but all my photo names this spring from there have the incorrect spelling.
    [Edited May 12 - I photographed the sign today]
    Ted-and-Mary-Greig-Rhododendron-Garden-sign_Cutler_20200512_151849.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  3. wcutler

Based on Ron B's comment in Identification: - Which is the real 'May Day'? that the coloured calyx is supposed to be characteristic of 'May Day', it has to be the case that my ID of the red-flowered rhododendron in the first posting is not correct.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The orange azalea is a Knap Hill Hybrid and the yellow is either Rhododendron luteum or a hybrid seedling derived from it. The species is pleasingly fragrant, has been asked for at independent garden centers in the past as "that yellow honeysuckle".

wcutler likes this.