The Site's Certificate is about to expire

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Sulev, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Hi,

Please update the certificate.
    I am getting a cert error unless I set my date to yesterday.

Attached Files:

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Since yesterday I am getting the following messages when trying to access this forum:

Attached Files:

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Should be fixed now. UBC IT had updated the certificate for the main site, but I didn't clue in / remember that I had to do this on my own for every other server.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

For anyone curious about what a certificate is/does, here is an explanation from the US Department of Homeland Security, Cybersecurity & Infrascructure Security Agency:
    Understanding Website Certificates | CISA

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I ended up deleting the Gandi certificate, clearing my cookies, then restarting the browser. However the site is still being indicated as 'Verified by Gandi'. Does that mean I have to reboot to completely remove the old certificate? Alternatively, how do I install the new certificate?

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Are you still getting the security warning? Gandi is the provider of UBC security certificates (so that is not a cause for concern).

7. Junglekeeper

No, but I was expecting it to since I had deleted the certificate. I thought it would then prompt me to install it.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Oh, the certificate isn't something you install, though I guess you could get your browser to ignore it. The browser software is doing a check to see that "this site claims it's secure (by using https)--so let's make sure by checking this certificate it is hosting that is verified against a certificate-issuer" etc. etc.

9. Junglekeeper

All is good. The browser is now using the new certificate/exception (also from Gandi) which I had accepted before deleting the one that had expired. The confusion came about because I was expecting to see a different provider other than Gandi.