Tamuke yama Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Pye Kyu, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Pye Kyu

Pye Kyu New Member

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase and plant this Tamuke yama maple plant as an ornamental piece in your front yard. We wanted colors in the profile of the "red dragon" with red leaves and at the same time have it grow to about 4' height with 6' width. We landed on this baby Tamuke yama maple. The leaves appeared to be more brown than red in color and we were wondering if the leaves will change to a more red as it matures or will this be the color as it matures. I see the colors of most Tamuke yama I have searched online were more red. Trying to figure out whether to plant it of return it. (this was from a very nice and reputable nursery and was kept and maintained well).

Thank you all in advance for your input.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hello, yes I think you will see as the season goes along, it will be more red. The brownish color is more when it leafs out.

BTW a synonym for this maple is 'Aka shidare', it is sometimes seen under this name, and that is how I purchased it.

HTH, -E

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Pye Kyu

Pye Kyu New Member

Thank you for sharing. It is looking much nicer and more red now. It has been planted. Looking forward to it growing :)

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning @Pye Kyu, I can confirm that Tamukyama will, give a wonderful red colour all season long as long as it gets enough sun. If it has too little, then you will see a mixture of red and green in the dissected leaves. A lot of my friends have theirs in various locations from shade to sun and tbh I like it both ways. But if you want those deep reds from this cultivar, then sun it needs.
    That is a lovely specimen you have purchased btw and if it were me, I would NOT be returning it.

5. Acerholic

Ah the Synonyms, any date for the MS list E?

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi D,

There are different lists:

The "Synonyms List" which the Maple Society has funded, is a list that brings together all the the species synonyms that have been employed since Linnaeus. It's a massive work, and it should be released very soon, I think it just hasn't happened because of other things going on.

The Synonyms List doesn't contain any cultivar information.

The Maple Society has been working on a "Cultivar Checklist" for many years. The first version (World Maple Cultivar Checklist) was published in 2008, you may have a copy. I know I often refer to it. Unfortunately there are people who charge for access to cultivar data bases, so the current plan is not to publish the entire list, but rather to provide an interface similar to the Camellia Society, which will let you check if a cultivar exists and potentially what it's synonyms (and characteristics) are, without an entire listing. The committee decided not to publish, but the actual interface, the database, etc is still being defined with the new web site.

cheers, -E

7. Acerholic

Thanks E, that is a shame though re cultivars.

8. Pye Kyu

Pye Kyu New Member

thank you so much for your input. It has been planted. Looking wonderful so far. :)

Acerholic and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  9. Acerholic

Good morning @Pye Kyu, please update the thread with a photo of it planted, I am certain everyone would enjoy seeing it in it's position.

10. Pye Kyu

Pye Kyu New Member

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

And with lighting and plenty of room to grow, Very nice.