Take a walk on the wild side.....

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by pmurphy, May 29, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Way cool! I don't know that at all - it's native in the eastern US and Canada. Wikipedia says it's in the Ericaceae family, which I was going to complain about, but the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center puts in in Pyrolaceae (Wintergreen family), which is where it's classified by Taxonomy - GRIN-Global Web v 1.10.6.2, as of 2002.

Nik likes this.
  2. Nik

Nik Contributor

Marsh marigolds, Caltha palustris, and Anemone (don’t know the species) from a walk in the woods earlier this year.

Attached Files:

pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon Nik, lovely Spring woodland photos. They really are 'Marsh' marigolds. The last one is possibly Anemone hepatica. American Liverwort. From the Ranunculaceae family.

4. Nik

Nik Contributor

A slightly pinkish version of Chimaphila maculata.

Attached Files:

Arlette, Daniel Mosquin and Acerholic like this.
  5. Nik

Nik Contributor

Club moss.

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin, pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

@Nik, I just wonder why people don't get down and actually look at flowers properly. Thank goodness for photography and this technology so we can all share these days. We live in very good times.

Nik likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Same again Nik with the Club moss, especially the second photo. Your computer must be so full of interesting photos. The trouble is trying cataloge them in some kind of order.

8. Acerholic

9. Nik

Nik Contributor

And my final posting of Monotropa uniflora (apologies for the multiple ones of the same species). This time it is the pink form. The third picture is actually a combination of pink stem with purplish flower.

Attached Files:

pmurphy, Arlette and Acerholic like this.
  10. Acerholic

WOW Nik, @Nik. You have excelled yourself yet again. Have a look at this @Arlette, it's what I was talking about earlier. 'What a garden' !!!

Nik likes this.
  11. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Nik
    Your posts are very interesting. I was fascinated by the Monotropa uniflora; I didn't know it (I don't even know if we have it in our areas). It is absolutely fascinating. I did some research and found a site that sells its seeds. I was tempted to try .... however I don’t think I can stay much longer in this Forum: too many temptations !!!!!

Nik likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@Arlette, the maples forum is the same soooooo many temptations. Lol

Arlette likes this.
  13. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi @Arlette , I suspect you will have no success in propagating Monotropa uniflora by seed. It needs just the ‘right conditions’. Large trees in the area, a lot of moisture, etc. I try to encourage native plants that I like and find in the yard to spread out freely. Many attempts to grow plants that I bought have been unsuccessful... For the most part I have stopped trying to introduce non-native species. Even though they pop up unexpected occasionally.. like this Lobelia erinus. The exception is Japanese maples, I am attempting to plant as many as possible.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Nik

Nik Contributor

Does anyone know the reason for the color variation of Monotropa uniflora, is it genetic or is it dependent on the species of fungi? I have never seen the red form, I imagine it is spectacular.

15. Nik

Nik Contributor

Another introduction that I never anticipated, glory of the snow, Scilla forbesii, in early April, I suspect self-seeded from neighbor’s plants.

Attached Files:

Arlette likes this.
  16. Acerholic

@Nik regarding your earlier question on changing or variance of colours of Monotropa uniflora.
    I was of the impression it was down to varying light conditions. So one spot in your garden would produce blue tones and another spot pink tones. But are you saying a varience of colours in the same place?

17. Nik

Nik Contributor

Yes, very close locations, no difference in light conditions.

18. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Nik
    I was also reflecting on whether or not to introduce an allochthonous plant here because, although as I repeat very fascinating, it is still a "parasitic" plant.
    Even if in minimal part these "hobby" experiments but much more globalization, the uncontrolled enthusiasm for what is new, .............. are often connoted as "biological invasions" which currently constitute one of the greatest threats to the conservation of biodiversity. We started from the ambition to beautify gardens more and more with the insertion of "exotic" plants (do you know Heracleum mantegazzianum?) to reach risky situations.
    Thanks, however, for telling me about it.

Here, although evergreen, Lobelia erinus is grown as an annual and is widespread in all gardens. I usually wear it too, but this year, due to COVID, I noticed a lesser variety of plants in nurseries.

Ciao, ciao and good evening!!

19. Acerholic

@Nik, sorry I cant help with your earlier question, it has now stumped me. The pink hue is common with the ghost plant, but other colours are rare.
    Regarding your visitor seedlings, are you going to remove them? I have the same here in England with seeds from neighbours gardens taking root. I now remove after they have flowered and give away to friends etc.
    It is not a big problem, but it can ruin a theme!!

20. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

In my country walks there is a plant that fascinates me more than others, the Taraxacum, a plant, typical of temperate climates, which grows spontaneously practically everywhere: on the roadside, on the edge of cultivated fields, in meadows, in areas flat, hilly and mountainous, up to an altitude of about 2000 meters. It reproduces so quickly that it invades the cultivated land, so much so that, especially in the past, the dandelion was considered a weed to be eradicated.
    taraxacum-officinalis.jpg
    I stop, however, to observe it longer when it "releases" its "fruit", that false achene that I consider one of the most beautiful works of art in Nature which in the language of flowers symbolizes strength, hope and trust.

Raise your hand if you have not, at least once in your life, blown on that feathery sphere in the hope that a wish would come true or observed it as it slowly lets itself be carried away by the wind, or let itself go to the flow of life, imagining it curious of new discoveries, ready to generate new life.

027 (4).jpg I

Isn’t it a magical, timeless beauty?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Nik, pmurphy, Acerholic and 1 other person like this.
  21. Acerholic

@Arlette, good morning Arlette, I had to make comment on your posting. 'Such passion' about nature and beautifully written. Given me a wonderful and uplifting start to the day. Thankyou.

22. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Acerholic Goodmorning for all the day!
    Thanks for what you wrote. I'm glad to have made a small contribution to a good start to the day !!!!

23. Acerholic

24. Nik

Nik Contributor

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

@Nik sometimes a visitor can be welcome and propagated on. Free plants are always extra special. But I am in full agreement about native species, although in the wrong place they have to go.