Swimming pool in greenhouse with vegetable plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ase, May 13, 2013.

1. ase

ase New Member

We are wanting to use our greenhouse to both grow vegetable plants and also extend the use of our swimming pool. We are unsure if the chlorine from the pool being in the air (we won't use the pool water to water the plants) will affect the vegetable plants. There are two doors on either end of the greenhouse and the side of it rolls up leaving a four foot tall opening on one side.

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

I had concerns with this years ago. One of my strata complexes had perennial gardens above the pool. The exhaust fan blew near a Rhododendron that was obviously looking sick. I checked over the entire plant to deduce what was causing the stress (IPM) and I had the soil tested as well. There were no problems other than the air flow from the exhaust port near by.

I contacted horticulturists at Agriculture Canada, but they had never heard of a similar problem.

I googled your question and there are alot of discussions elsewhere that may also help.

Obviously though, plants are sensitive and chlorine is carcinogenic. Good ventillation, no water splashes from the pool, and experimenting and monitoring are your best bets.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  3. mort

mort Active Member

hi
    There are some people now turning to salt water pools to avoid the use of chlorine altogether. Perhaps this is an avenue to investigate in view of plant and human health. It will be interesting to hear what you find out.