Sunset

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Joseph Lin, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Several Takasagos on E.61 Avenue between Knight and Windsor, finishing their bloom on April 11, 2010.

Attached Files:

2. Anne Eng

The five Whitcombs at Sunset Community Centre, SW corner of E. 51 and Prince Edward are finishing their bloom on March 26, 2011.

Attached Files:

3. kennyc

kennyc Member

My first (ever) sighting of Umineko! I'm very thrilled! I forgot to take a close-up shot because it was SO cold so I didn't linger..

20110409_E57+Ontario_Umineko_Chan_001.jpg

4. kennyc

kennyc Member

I'm stocking up on pictures now. Might as well open up my archives and share some here. I was driving on E57 by Prince Albert when I spotted a group of young Akebonos. They are truly beautiful!

20110409_PrinceAlbert+E57_Akebono_Chan_001.jpg

Being the curious scout I am, I parked my car and walked farther south, until.....I found these!!! A street row of Somei-yoshino!!

20110409_E59+PrinceAlbert_Somei-yoshino_Chan_001.JPG 20110409_E59+PrinceAlbert_Somei-yoshino_Chan_002.jpg

And to my surprise, two young and robust Akebonos were planted to continue the row of the older Somei-yoshino!

20110409_E59+PrinceAlbert_Akebono_Chan_001.jpg

Lesson learned:  A little curiosity can go a long way!

5. Anne Eng

Tai Haku in bloom at NW corner of E.47 and Main Street on April 16, 2011. Further north, the Tai Hakus in Kensington's Brewer Park (Victoria and 26) and at Fleming and E. 39 are still mainly in bud.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  6. Anne Eng

Despite the lichens, lone Takasago in bloom on east side of Quebec Street, just south of E. 45 Avenue on April 16, 2011.

Attached Files:

7. kennyc

kennyc Member

I think I have made a new discovery, as I couldn't find any previous postings of this tree.

It is located in Sunset Park on Prince Edward + E 51, at the parking entrance (behind Sunset Recreational Centre). At first, I thought it is another Akebono, but after a closer look, it looks like Somei-yoshino for it has 5 petals. But it has emerging green leaves (which both Akebono and S-y do NOT have), which turns the tide and convinces me that it is a Umineko. However, Umineko has upright branches. This one has a round top and petals narrower than a typical Umineko. Can it be an Oshima?

20110417_PrinceEdward+E51_Umineko_Chan_001.jpg 20110417_PrinceEdward+E51_Umineko_Chan_002.jpg
    20110417_PrinceEdward+E51_Umineko_Chan_003.jpg 20110417_PrinceEdward+E51_Umineko_Chan_004.jpg

8. Anne Eng

The two Ichiyos on the east side of Fraser, south of E. 54th, are in bloom on April 26, 2011.

Attached Files:

9. Anne Eng

Ichihara-tora-no-o in bloom, north side of E. 57th Avenue east of Fraser Street, on May 1, 2011.

Attached Files:

10. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

First posting 2012

Interesting walk in Sunset today. These 'Whitcomb' on 59th and Prince Edward, a festival favourite one year and reported here often, are definitely in bloom, though they still have some opening left to do. But the group of 'Whitcomb' at the community centre on 51st and Prince Edward (not pictured here, but there are photos in this thread from other years) are not in bloom (as agreed on by the people I was with). We passed another single private 'Whitcomb' on 51st mid-block east of Prince Edward, with enough blossoms to tell what it was from down the street.
    20120310_59thPrinceEdward_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1180878.jpg 20120310_59thPrinceEdward_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1180881.jpg

The 'Accolade' on 61st west of Ontario (edited - oops, they're really in the Marpole neighbourhood) are not in bloom. And there's a single 'Accolade' street tree on 60th just east of Ontario that hasn't been reported before. Again, enough blossoms to tell what it is, but that's all.

11. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

The Whitcomb trees bloomed 90% on East 59Ave. this afternoon.

Attached Files:

12. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Only for enthusiastic people, who wants to go and explore not very nice looking but rare trees. 57Ave from Ontario to Main, several tall Spire cherries started to bloom. They don't look healthy and beautiful in general but rare small flowers would satisfy your time and interest.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
  13. Joseph Lin

I checked this unknown cherry with buds beside several conifer trees at the parking lot of Sunset Park by Prince Edward Street near East 51 Ave. on April 6

Attached Files:

14. Joseph Lin

I checked again this unknown cherry with withered flowers at the parking lot of Sunset Park by Prince Edward Street near East 51 Ave. on April 18

Attached Files:

15. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

16. Joseph Lin

Sorry, I didn't notice if it is fragrant.
    I was too busy to check more frequently on its flowering process.
    Fortunately, you can tell it is another Oshima!

17. Anne Eng

The seven Whitcombs at Sunset Ice Rink, SW corner of Prince Edward and E51 are in bloom on March 10, 2013. Five trees clustered together at front sign, 2 trees further south on Prince Edward, in parking area.

Attached Files:

18. Anne Eng

The seven Afterglows are in bloom on both sides of Prince Edward between E. 61-62 Avenue on March 29, 2013. There are also several Akebonos just starting in this block as well.

Attached Files:

19. Anne Eng

A beautiful Shirotae starting its bloom March 31, 2013 on the school grounds at the SE corner of E. 61st and Prince Edward. This is the beginning of the block with the Afterglow and Akebono trees.

Attached Files:

20. Anne Eng

The conifers look like they're making a sandwich out of one Somei-yoshino. A second Yoshino is not so cramped and freely spreads out in Macdonald Park, west side of Prince Edward, south of E. 44th Avenue on April 1, 2013.

Attached Files:

21. Anne Eng

Oshima on the east side of Prince Edward, south of E. 51st, is starting its bloom on April 1, 2013. This is behind the two Oshima trees in Kitsilano. The long, narrow sepals of its flowers (4th photo) are similar to those on the Kitsilano trees (5th and last photo is of the Kitsilano blossoms, included for comparison).

Attached Files:

22. Anne Eng

The Oshima at SE Prince Edward and E. 51 has passed its peak bloom after one week and has red eyes on April 8, 2013.

Attached Files:

23. Anne Eng

Single strong Tai Haku in bloom at NW corner of E.47 and Main Street on April 8, 2013.

Attached Files:

24. Anne Eng

Ichihara, with its distinctive feature, style and stigma protruding from closed buds, is starting its bloom on the NE corner of E. 57th and Fraser on April 8, 2013.

Attached Files:

25. Anne Eng

Takasago in bloom at 31 W. 63, north side, west of Ontario on April 8, 2013.

Attached Files: