Suggestions for an indoor screening plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by barrolini, Apr 20, 2006.

1. barrolini

barrolini Active Member

I am seeking any suggestions for an indoor plant/shrub/tree (or grouping) to serve as a visual screen between my newly renovated living and dining areas. I live in West Vancouver,and the area in question has good exposure to light facing southwest.

I would like an evergreen with a height in the range of 5 to 6 feet, a spreading rather than pyramidal form. I would prefer something which would have a "west coast" look, but not necessarily indigenous (being as it will be indoors, of course).

In my searching through books to date, I have come up with the following: Norfolk Pine, Buddist Pine (I believe it is Podocarpus Macrophylla 'maki'), and in another "look" a Ficus bennendijkii 'Ali' fig.

Any other suggestions would be very, very welcomed. Thank you.

barrolini

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

You can get a type of cypress which might grow there - it's Meditarranean, but I'm sorry I can't remember the name! It's sometimes sold in higher end florist shops, but I think you have to be somewhat knowledgable to keep it alive (same for podocarpus, which needs cold (40-50 Fahr.) temps in winter.