suckering tall shrub needs ID (Calgary Alberta)

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by arlee, Jul 31, 2013.

1. arlee

arlee Member

Zone 3, these shrubs sucker profusely, grow to almost 15 feet and form dense copses. They have small leaves, flower profusely all along the stems, a small 5 petaled simple flower form that fades and stays attached until the seed forms, culminating in a podlike seed that reddens as it ripens. Any idea what it is? The flower is smaller than a dime, the seed pods elongate as they ripen.

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looks like Goji (wolfberry).

I am not sure if there are related plants with a similar appearance that grow in your region, so please do not eat them until the ID is confirmed.

3. arlee

arlee Member

wouldn't dream of it--i'm a natural dyer and know a lot of plants need careful handling :)

4. arlee

arlee Member

Looking at all the online pics now, pretty sure that is what it is--no eating though as i'm not sure of all the claims people make for it, and it sure looks related to deadly nightshade and the like! Unfortunately useless as a dyeplant--but so lovely to look at.

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, everything about it seems right for Goji; the only reason I was cautious is that I don't know if there are any lookalikes in Canada and with solanaceous plants you can't afford not to be cautious.

Some of the more far out claims for health benefits should be taken with a pinch of salt, but it cannot be denied Goji berries contain high levels of vitamins, caretenoids, amino acids and minerals. I have only ever eaten the dried berries, they were very nice. If I found a dense copse of the bushes I would pick loads!

6. arlee

arlee Member

Thanks "maf", much appreciated.