Stunning Seiryu

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, May 15, 2014.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Happened upon this absolutely lovely - and LARGE - specimen at one of the local nurseries. Oh how I wish I could have taken it home. Easily 15' tall with at least as large a spread.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, that's how big it gets - and more. Here there are numbers of examples you can sit or even walk under.

3. maplesandpaws

Lovely!! Roughly how old would a tree that size be?

4. MrKimsMaples

MrKimsMaples New Member

Which Johnson's location?

5. maplesandpaws

The one at Woodlawn and Shadybrook (east side). I don't think it's for sale at all, it wasn't in a planter. Plus, I don't know how you'd move a tree that size - let alone not shock it to death when you dig it up.

6. MrKimsMaples

MrKimsMaples New Member

Thanks for that info. We were at the 13th street location last week and they had some nice JMs that I would have liked to take home. I have 2 small Seiryu that I got last year, one is planted out and one is in a pot. They both wintered well and have put on good growth. I wonder how long before they are that impressive.

7. Ron B

Comes along pretty fast, like I said tree shown would not be unusual here (western Zone 8) - where I have seen multiple bigger ones. Apparently a lot of people in my area have bought and planted it, starting long enough ago that there are many big ones around.

And, yes, these are definitely all 'Seiryu', with a broadly vase-like habit and fluffy looking, dissected leaves.

8. cfieldgrower

cfieldgrower Member

I was able to work out a trade for a mature Seiryu. It was over an hour drive away and even though it was stressful for me I am very pleased that it all worked out. We used a small Bobcat and strapped it to the forks and the tree was too heavy to lift but we were able to drag it up onto the trailer. It was a heck of a sight going down the interstate standing upright with tractor trailers brushing it as they passed by. The timing wasn't what I would have chosen (mid March) the buds started leafing out a couple of weeks after transplanting and so far the tree looks very healthy.

The tree is around 14' tall and wide. Attached is a pic of my Seiryu along with my Akita (Japanese Dog) that we adopted about the same time, the dog has worked out well too :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  9. Ron B

Nice of it to pose for the camera.

10. maplesandpaws

Lovely tree, glad it survived the trip, but yikes! I can only imagine what that would have looked like - and how anxious you must have been the whole time.

Lovely Akita too! I've always admired them, and as much as I would love to have one, I know that it is not the dog for us. What's his/her name? :)

11. cfieldgrower

cfieldgrower Member

Yes, I was very anxious! I didn't even mention that we had truck issues on the way home, we blew a clamp on the turbo and had to jerry rig it to get going again. I had planned to document everything with my camera and I didn't even get it out :(

Thank you! His name is Dusk, he is a rescue out of Texas and was fostered in Indiana. Luckily for us, someone else has done all of the work and he is already house trained and socialized. They are great dogs, very calm and quiet and in my experience, easy to train. Thank goodness, he is a small male at 95# instead of the 120# that he could have been.

Did not mean to hi-jack this thread, just wanted to agree that the Seiryu is a fairly fast grower and is one of my favorites being the only upright Disectum. I believe mine is around 15-20 years old.