Stumpers Rules (updated Nov. 4, 2009)

Discussion in 'Plants and Biodiversity Stumpers' started by Daniel Mosquin, May 31, 2005.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm willing to try out an organic process to change the rules for stumpers over time - let's let some of the rules that are needed bubble to the surface, and when they become obvious that they are needed, we'll add them here. Or, if you have suggestions for rules, please reply to this thread.

Rule #1 - the person asking the question needs to know the answer!

Rule #2 - the answer has to be generic enough that it is answerable - it has to be something that a person could be either reasonably expected to know or be able to research

Rule #3 - it has to be plant or garden-related, but doesn't necessarily need to be Plant ID. It could be an insect ID, or a mystery plant disease or identifying a historical or modern plantsperson.

Rule #4 - the form of the clue can be freeform. I like Elmore's initial posts - photographs that hint at the identity (as if one was driving by in a car and saw the plant in the distance) with a few extra written clues. Or perhaps a haiku. Or a small essay written as if one was a plant detective trying to solve a mystery.

The point of Stumpers is two-fold: to learn about plants, and to have a bit of fun while doing so.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: Stumpers Rules

I like it, but I agree, the poster HAS to know the answer, this aint a personal trivia thread. to be fair of course.

I am now searching through my pictures for good stumpers..... moohahahahahaha!

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Have we got any new stumpers yet ladies and gentlemen? Have had nothing since beginning June :(

Liz

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

From now until early 2011 (or beyond?), rule #3 is altered a bit in celebration of the 2010 International Year of Biodiversity.

Replace:

Rule #3 - it has to be plant or garden-related, but doesn't necessarily need to be Plant ID. It could be an insect ID, or a mystery plant disease or identifying a historical or modern plantsperson

With:

Rule #3 - it has to be biodiversity, nature or garden-related -- but it doesn't have to be a plant...wild critters welcome!

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmmm ... plant diseases would presumably include fungal plant diseases like rusts, mildews, oomycetes, fungal parasites from various clades. So could fungi that are plant-helpers be included in Stumpers, not just the plant "villains"? <grin>

frog the fungi fan

6. Daniel Mosquin

Absolutely!

7. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

So am i right in thinking that he/she who guesses gets to post the next Stumper pic?

8. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

9. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years