Star Magnolia Pruning and Timing

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Zach, May 23, 2020.

1. Zach

Zach New Member

I have what I believe is a Star Magnolia, which was planted by the previous home owner very close to the house. It blooms beautifully in the early spring. It's been growing pretty aggressively since we've lived here and it's getting tall enough that it's starting to touch the house / roofline. Attached are some pictures recently taken after the blooms have just about all left.

VR9z5Si.jpg Ubx5HlM.jpg BjOkwxA.jpg jveYx9Y.jpg

I have an ongoing argument with the wife on the amount and timing of pruning this tree. Based on everything else I've read here, less is better and none is best. However, now that it's hitting the house, I've been told pruning is a necessity.

So the question is what is the best method to prune and where should i be pruning the branches, and when in the season is best to prune this beautiful plant?

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2020
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, if you have to for the house / roofline reasons, it is best to prune this in late winter. It seems vigorous enough that you could concentrate whatever pruning you must do where it is most problematic near the house.

Zach likes this.