Spring fever's succulents - help me ID

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by BBunker, Mar 25, 2007.

1. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

New shipments of succulents put me in a buying frenzy. All had name tags except three plants, and need help figuring out what they are. I'm going to guess what I think they might be and please tell me if I am correct.

1. Pachyphytum glutinicaule
    2. Crassula portulacea Minor (this one is cutting from my mom's plant)
    3. Sedum rubrotinctum Jelly Beans

Attached Files:

2. Wask

Wask Active Member

I'd say 3 good guesses! Looks like your plants survived the unusual cold you had this past winter...did you greenhouse?

3. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Thankyou so much. I did a lot of picking up pots and bringing them indoors whenever the nighttime low was below 38. They would come in for a week or two and then go back outside when it looked like the weather was going to be a little warmer. If it looked like rain, they were inside. We were looking into building a greenhouse, but just never got around to it. Maybe we will build a greenhouse this summer instead, so it would be ready when it starts to get cold again.

A lot of our plants that are in the ground took a real beating. Our agapanthas and one kind of jasmine looked dead, but it looks like they may be coming back. I just made sure all my potted plants came inside. I feel sorry for one of my neighbors that completely re-did his front yard, with beautiful large plants. They are all very, very brown. I hope they survive the freeze, because his yard was so beautiful to look at.

4. mariateresa

mariateresa Member

3 is correct.

5. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I agree on the 3rd.
    2nd looks like Crassula ovata 'Crosby's Compact' to me. (As far as I know portulacea is now ovata)

(On the 1st, I thought glutinicaule had a bit pointed leaves-but I don't know for sure.)

6. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Thankyou for helping me name my succulents. Where do I get more information on the classifications of succulents, and also on the new names that are replacing older names like the portulacea is now ovata? Where can I go to learn more?

As far as the glutinicaule, I was basically guessing on the name because I saw a succulent that looked like mine, on the internet and that's what they called it. What do you think it might be?