Splitting Japanese maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Scott1978, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Scott1978

Scott1978 New Member

Hi I inherited a Japanese maple and noticed it is splitting. Can someone suggest a remedy for this guy? I can send a video or more pictures.

thank a lot!![
    7614D512-7C90-4EF5-8416-4CAEE810C177.jpeg image.jpg 69C299D1-FE9A-4FE3-A597-7CA3263E6906.jpeg

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Scott, first of all welcome to the maple forum.
    Secondly your tree needs quite urgent attention out of safety more than anything else. A good arborist can save a limb if no infection has set in. But IMO most will suggest the removal of the tree with that damage to the trunk in that position.
    I have known trees to be saved with drilling and bolting or clamping etc, so that is something to speak to your arborist about.

As I have said, IMO safety is far more important with this problem than saving the tree.

Please let the forum know what your arborist suggests as I'm sure there will be many that will be interested.

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Scott,

I wouldn't be as pessimistic as Derek : to me, it looks like mechanical damage, like after a storm, because of the wind. Apparently, both branches are alive so I would use clamping, protecting the bark with something like old bicycle tyres and usingiron wire to keep the two parts together. Bolting at the bottom of the fork with abolt in a hole drilled at the base of the fork (non-rusting metal) could be an option too. After a few years, the bolt on one side and the nut on the other side will be swallowed into the bark.

Your tree is slanting to the right on the photo : is that the usual direction of the wind ? In any case, I would prune the branch on the left so the wind won't apply as much pressure as on the one on the right.

And by the way, is it in the ground ? And how tall is it ? If it's not "that" big, maybe you can uproot it and replant it so the trunk starts more vertically.

My 2 € cents worth... ;°)

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Scott1978

Scott1978 New Member

Thanks guys, all excellent info. Much appreciated.

5. Scott1978

Scott1978 New Member

The height of the tree is around 16-18 feet.
    It is in the ground.
    The diameter of the wood where it is split is roughly 1 1/2 inches maybe less
    the tallest branch is from the larger section of the split wood
    What if I just cut it below the split say 10 inches. Asthetically it won't change much . Can it handle such a big cut?

6. AlainK

That's about 5 - 5.50 metres : it's a big tree. "Uprooting" it will not ne an option then I suppose.

BTW, where is "Delta" ?... Mississipi, Mekong, Rhone, etc. ?...

7. Acerholic

@Scott1978, Yes it can handle the pruning. I do not shape any earlier than June, so now will be fine. I was unaware that it was a small branch. Ensure you cut with a pruning saw below first then above to avoid causing anymore splitting etc. Aesthetically it looks as though it will be fine also.
    @AlainK, made a very good point that it can be clamped or bolted.

D

8. Scott1978

Scott1978 New Member

Vancouver, BC. Canada

9. AlainK

All right then, I didn't get that, thanks.

It probably sounds obvious to many of you, esp. since we're hosted by the UBC, but for a Frenchman in the Loire valley that has never crossed the Atlantic, I've learned something. Now I know another "delta" ;-)

10. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hey hey Mississippi! Excited to see a place where I was born and raised come up on the site. The deep south and the sweetie Delta (nothing but the blues).

11. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hi AlainK - did you know that when you click on the place named as Location, a map comes up showing exactly where the place is geographically?
    >
    >
    >
    Well, maybe not. When I clicked on your Location: nr Orleans, France (E.U.), a map of the French Quarter in New Orleans on the Mississippi River came up. :-)

12. Scott1978

Scott1978 New Member

So where should I cut it?

13. Acerholic

Depending on what limb you want to remove or both top pieces, I would take it out about 4 ft down to where there is thick a healthy limb on the left of your picture, removing that whole section with the split with a clean cut. This is IMO. Aesthetically it looks as though it will look fine also.

You might consider @AlainK suggestion of drilling and bolting to pull it together. As I said in my first post on this and I agree with Alain it does work.

D

14. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Scott, I had a Butterfly and it splitted due to a heavy snow one winter (many years back) and I did just like Alain suggestion. I drilled through the trunk right below the split then get a long stainless steel screw with bolt on the other side and start tighten it up, use some washers on both ends if you want. You need to check it every few months and loosen the screw a bit due to the growth of the tree and after two years I took it out and the tree seems to heel that splitting wound and growing happy after that.

15. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Scott again, I meant to say drill the hole right where it splitted that you want to claim it back together. Search on youtube that is where I found the remedy. Good luck,