Soil for Laceleaf Maple in container

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Dij, May 23, 2006.

1. Dij

Dij Member

So glad to find this forum. Here's my first question: I've just received a beautiful Garnet Laceleaf Maple that needs repotting into a container. I'm wondering what kind of soil would be best for it. Garden variety potting soil? Should I use peat moss?

Thanks,
    Dij

2. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Active Member 10 Years

I have potted several maples using bagged "Potting Soil" from my local hardware store. Both Miracle Grow and the generic brands have worked well...

I also put about 3-4 inches of mulch on top of the soil.

3. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hello, Dij - Roots need air, so the soil needs to drain really well. There are ways to put together a mix that helps, and is usually more adequate than a lot of commercially available soils: for instance, using a good percentage pine bark pieces plus perlite mixed in with the right commercial soil could be better than the commercial soil alone. (No garden soil, of course.) Peat is problematic, as it compacts and stays wet or dries out too much. You can use the search engine for this forum, and look up the various discussions on pine bark, on peat, and on soil mixes, and then come back and ask for more detailed info, and clarifications. (Also helpful for container growing can be familiarity with bonsai principles regarding water and air mouvement in the soil, root pruning, as well as the characteristics of the different components that are commercially available.)

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Add a lot of small aquarium gravel to the mix and don't use peat (or Miracle Gro) at all. Maples like sandy, gritty soil (similar to pines) and soil needs to drain fast to keep them happy. They prefer pH neutral to acid soil, however, so be careful about that too.

5. Dij

Dij Member

Thanks for the help, all.
    Dij