Schizophragma hydrangeoides Rosea

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Danka, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Danka

Danka Member

I have had it for about 3 years. It is growing nicely, part shade, part sun, as per instructions, woodsy soil. It has _never_ bloomed. What am I doing wrong??? Please help.

Danka

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably just needs to get a little bigger. I have one here flowering in a gallon pot, but such things vary. It doesn't mean every specimen will flower in a gallon pot. Otherwise I would wonder if the flower buds are freezing in winter there, if this is the case you will see them set at the tips of the shoots the year before but not open. Don't know if this is likely in this particular situation.

3. Danka

Danka Member

Ron, thank you for your swift reply. I haven't seen any buds at all. It's supposed to be hardy to zone 4 and I am in zone 6. So I hope that it is just a matter of maturity (of the plant!). I was also thinking of perhaps moving it into a more sunny place, but I worry that maybe it doesn't like to be moved.

Danka

4. kalmia

kalmia Active Member

I don't think I would move it. It needs time to establish itself. They can be slow to bloom. I recently purchased one in bloom, but I don't think 3 years of not blooming is really unusual.