1. Lynn Valley Growin

Lynn Valley Growin Member

I have a rhubarb plant that doesn't appear to be doing well this year. Instead of being upright a bushy, the leaves are all flat on the ground. it has never done this before. Any ideas?

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Rhubarb was once described to me as a "heavy feeder" (meaning it needs lots of fertilizer). Years ago this old farmer said to dig about a 2 ft deep hole, fill it about half full of seasoned cow dung, add more dirt mixed with more dung up to the planting base of the plant. Then plant. Don't know how scientific this is but I've had good luck with this method. ;))

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    agree that it's a heavy feeder

also keep in mind that we have not had much rain this spring - and now it's been quite hot (even tho overcast) at the coast.

i remember old timer neighbours would put a tall sleeve (like an old rusted out galvanized farm bucket) over the emerging rhubarb in early spring - and let it grow up thru the cylinder - resulting in nice, tall, tender rhubarb

sometimes rhubarb just gets tired and expires. I remember the same old timer neighbours would practice a form of rotation - in that every winter they'd divide one or two plants and replant (assuming they were working with a short row in the veggie patch - like a row of maybe 5 or 10 plants total.

here is some useful info from the RHS https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=544

Last edited: May 17, 2015