rhubarb doing poorly

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by angela59, Jun 19, 2006.

1. angela59

angela59 Member

I put a couple of rhubarb roots in a year ago and they looked pretty healthy. Towards the end of last summer one of the roots started to look a bit less healthy. As new stems appeared the old ones turned brown and died. I thought maybe they weren't getting enough light or air circulation so I moved both roots to a full-sun, good circulation spot. Whatever the problem is, it's back again. Both roots are affected, although one much more so than the other.

I've grown rhubarb for many years and never had any problems. Usually it's a very vigorous plant. Any ideas what the problem might be?

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Too much water can be an issue. It pretty well grows anywhere in lots of sun, but will die slowly if too wet for too long a time. I never pick it after June 20 or thereabouts to insure the roots are strong for next years growth in Zone 5.

Durgan.

3. angela59

angela59 Member

It's in a raised bed and was only watered once - when it was planted. Do you think the winter rain might have been too much for it?

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

That is possible in Vancouver. Too wet = poor rhubarb. Only an opinion.
    Durgan