Rhododendrons: Rhodos Sick? Help Please?

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by seagonus, Feb 9, 2007.

1. seagonus

seagonus Active Member 10 Years

One of my rhododendrons has brown spotted leaves and buds. It was fine last year, but this year it just seemed to wilt after the winter (which was unseasonably cold here in Abbotsford BC).

Are my Rhodos affected by the cold and just frost bitten? Or have they succumbed to some other disease that I am unaware of. As you can see by the picture, the Rhodo on the right (mine) are ill, the rhodo on the left are fine (my neighbors). Also, see the close-up.

There are some new shoots from the base of the plant which is a good sign.

What is wrong here? Will my rhodo be leafless all season?

Any ideas?

Please see attachments.

Attached Files:

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

I think your rhody is winter damaged; looks like either wind or sun scald. If you get the NE wind out of the Fraser canyon, and this plant is exposed to it, that may be what caused the burn. Your neighbor's rhody may be more protected by the hedge, or just more tolerant of the kind of winter we have had. You may not see flowers, but there is a good chance that once your rhody pushes new growth it will look fine.

3. seagonus

I gave it a few cups of Rhodo-fert 4-10-12, hopefully that encourages the growth to happen. We got a wicked south-southeasterly here this winter for days, and i thought that was what did the damage. However, the damage almost looked like a fungus of some sort so I was not sure. I have never had a problem with it before this year, and the one in the back yard--which is three times the size looks fine.

Some of my other rhodos are a little brown too, but they have smaller leaves and are more "hardy" as far as I can tell. I think these large leafed ones are a little more susceptible to wind/cold/frost damage.

It was a hell of a winter in general. but the cold really made the snowdrops come up nicely!

Any other opinions appreciated.

Tony

4. Annell

Annell Active Member

ahhh, its nice to not be alone. I was just going to post that my rhodo has brown spots and the leaves from last year look sicky. It flowered well this year, but not with the same vigor as last year. It's new growth looks healthy.

I'm glad to see those photos because mine looks pretty much the same. now i can relax a little, 'it was just the nasty winter' aahhh.

Anne

5. seagonus

Yes, it was just a nasty winter. My Rhodo is now doing really well with new leaves extended fully.

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I get the opposite from our hot dry northerly wind (southern Hemisphere) Mine always survive as long as I give them a few good drinks over the hottest time and of course mulch. New growth turns up and off they go.
    Liz