Rhododendrons: Rhodo sinogrande from seed

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by lslou, Jan 29, 2005.

1. lslou

lslou Member

Please can anyone, help I have been trying for several years to get sinigrande from seed. The seed is good, I surface sow on a pot and keep moist in a plastic bag. They germinate, the seedlings are minute they site there still minute for several months then the scariad larvae gets them! they just don't want to grow at all I have read rhod seedlings are really fast- what am Ii doing wrong please?

Lou

2. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

I assume have the same problem I have had with fungus gnats. I won't be able to help you there as that has been my downfall. You do have to lick the gnats as Peat and gnats go hand in hand. I found a lot of good advice on that on the web, but can't try again till next year. As for the growth, I don't have that problem. Peat is a good starter but it lacks nutrition. I recall a grower (Leach) describing throwing out a batch of seedling and being surprised that they were still alive several years later but had not grown. A mild liquid acid fertilizer (miracid) should help there.

3. lslou

lslou Member

4. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

Yea, I always say next year ... going to try Van Ness Sensation and if I can a unnamed brilliant yellow hybrid -- may have to try cuttings on that one though as I think it may be infertal -- it kind looks like these pictures but isn't. I'm new to this forum so I'm actually seeing if I can upload ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2005