Reviving an Almost Dead Willow

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Dale Thomas, May 27, 2006.

1. Dale Thomas

Dale Thomas Member

Hello all,

This is my first question on this group. I generally have a brown thumb even though I kept a few plants alive in pots for a few years because of getting interested in Bonsai. I've decided that Bonsai isn't going to be a growing interest for me. I've discovered that plants won't die just because it's me that potted them. ha

A few years ago I planted a one year old willow on a large lot. Last year it died and this year I cut the trunk off near the ground, but the root is sprouting new growth. I cut off most of the new growth, thinking they might allow the root to give more energy to just one limb and that I might save the willow that way. I put the cuttings in a small container of potting soil and the sprouts are growing new leaves after the original leaves died back.

I know to not use fertilizer on cutings or anything that's been recently transplanted, but I have a few questions. One is about how to treat the old root that's sprouting new growth now. Is is safe for the old root to add fetilizer or plant food there? The second set of questions are about how long to leave the sprouts in pots before putting them in the ground and how fast they should grow.

The Willow is Salix Babolonica.

Thank you,
    Dale Thomas

2. barvinok

barvinok Active Member

It is safe to feed old plant if it is necessary. If your cuttings have new growth, not just new leaves, you can plant them. They will need lots of water and yes, they will grow fast.

3. Dale Thomas

Dale Thomas Member

barvinok,
    Thank you very much.
    Dale