Researchers develop a better flytrap

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by Junglekeeper, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

2. anza

anza Active Member 10 Years

One thing I was curious about is what would happen to creatures that would dine on the dead flies. Here's an example. Everyone has heard of those nighttime with the blue light electric bug zappers. I never had one, but several friends in the mountains did and the very next day several lizards would be feasting on the dead insects which had fallen beneath the zapper onto the ground below. No mention of animal toxicity was mentioned, but I guess it's no more or less dangerous than the usual arial spraying it is supposed to replace.

On another note. Foster's Beer commercial Australian Mistletoe will never look the same.

405px-LENTAMUX.JPG

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There wouldn't be any toxicity since death was by electric current. Easy meal for the lizards.

4. anza

anza Active Member 10 Years

Sorry, you misuderstood. I was refering to flies killed by those new Florida Fly-Baiter traps mentioned in your posted article. The Electric Zappers were merely an illustration of what creatures do under bug control apparatuces. The Florida Fly-Baiters uses the black and blue colours to atrract and poisons to kill. I tried to find the MSDS download, but no luck and not enough time.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Yes I do understand that electricity zapped bugs are not a toxic problem. It's the chemicals which kill the flies in those fly traps and then fall to the ground I was wondering about.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012