Replanting rhizomes

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by blazespinnaker, Jan 22, 2010.

1. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker Member

I was wondering .. if I rip up a shooting rhizome that's 10' long or so but going in the wrong direct, can I then chop it at the base and then relay that rhizome along the path I actually want bamboo?

Is that a good way to spread bamboo in the way I need?

Cheers,

Blaze.

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Yes, if the rhizome is healthy then a section of that length should shoot at a number of points. I'd caution against 'ripping' it out, though (though maybe you really mean dig...), if you tear it up from the ground you'll lose a lot of roots, and the rhizome may not recover. Dig along the rhizome, leaving a root/soil mass intact, sever it from the parent plant, and transplant it immediately.

3. bambooman

bambooman Member

It will do alot better if you can get a couple of canes with the rhizome, otherwise it will have very small canes for the first 3-4 years. If you get a couple of canes with the rhizome it will have alot more energy and will produce larger canes than with just rhizome alone. Trust me on this. I know from experience. I have one that I started from just rhizome 4 years ago and it is still only 6-8 inches high. Whereas divisions with multiple canes were not set back much at all.

4. hypnosisrd

hypnosisrd Member

Is your friend willing to part with anymore rhizome peices ? I live in Alberta and I am looking for a few low cost rhizomes to be shipped so I can grow some bamboo indoors and out.