Question re: staking trees

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Bobgerard, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Bobgerard

Bobgerard New Member

Our Ornamental Plum tree was planted two days ago. I stands about 8 feet tall. It was grown in a plastic potting bucket, maybe 8 to 10 gallon size. The root "ball" isn't very big so provides little anchoring and I have noticed that it appears to lean. I am worried that with the winds of Autumn, it may blow over, or become uprooted, so I think it needs to be staked.
    I rigged a temporary stake this evening to see how it would go, and yes, the tree is very correctable.
    I have read that we should not keep a tree staked over two years, so the tree doesn't depend on the supports but develops its own strong roots.
    What manner of staking is best? I have seen methods where several (two, three or four) guy lines extend from above a branch downward to a low stakes in the ground, or else taller stakes with guy lines running horizontally outward from the tree, which will not pull downward on a branch for support.
    Looking forward to your thoughts!
    ps. I am attaching two photos to show the difference with the experimental staking.

Attached Files:

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Re: Staking of trees

Generally for a deciduous tree of your size, you'll need two stakes, about four inches in diameter and five or six feet tall.

Drive them in deep, 180 degrees from each other and in the direction of the prevailing wind. Just outside of the root ball zone. You don't want to damage the root ball.

A hammer or smaller sledge hammer will damage the top of the stake. Try getting some-one to hold a piece of 2x4 flat over the top while you pound in the stake.
    In the business we have heavy sleeves that slide over the stakes to drive them in. I also have a special sledge hammer with a very large flat head that is larger than the top of the stakes and doesn't cause them splitting damage at the top.

Don't use hose or wire or rope to secure the tree to the stakes as those items will damage the bark.

You can purchase lengths of proper tree straps at a garden center. Get the ones made out of woven material (it's near the same size as a pants belt)

Wrap the strap around each tree and stake in a figure 8 pattern at breast height.
    Leave a bit of play between the tree and strap, so the strap doesn't slide down the trunk and the tree can sway without damaging the bark.

I use a roofing nail to attach both overlapped ends of the strap to the stake.

The three guy wire method is used for larger coniferous trees. The guy wires are normally attached to stakes right at ground level. Their strapping is made of a similar material and attached higher up around the trees trunk so there is a bit of play and the bark is not damaged.

3. Bobgerard

Bobgerard New Member

David- Thanks for your help on this. I will look for the straps and also get some longer stakes. However, there needs to be some tug on the tree to the west (into the general prevailing wind direction) in order to correct the leaning, so the straps cant be as loose as I think you suggested. Will the pull and pressure of the straps against the tree injure the tree or bark?

4. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Monitor them and move the straps up and down occasionally if they're rubbing too hard or causing any damage.

Or you could do three or four posts and straps if you have to.

If the tree is too heavy on one side, you may have to prune off a branch.
    Although, I prefer to leave a newly planted tree alone so it has the benefit of all of its parts and their energy reserves.