Pruning a Canary Island Date Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by phxpalm, Sep 25, 2007.

1. phxpalm

phxpalm Member

I have read quite a few articles on how to prune the fronds of a Canary Island Date Palm but it is very hard to find anything on the techniques for symetrically trimming the trunk and pineapple of this palm. I live in Phoenix and have seen some seriously butchered trees around town. Do landscapers use chainsaws for trimming or is there a tool that is specifically developed for these types of palms. Any advice for trimming would be appreciated.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Treescompany

Treescompany Member

Arborists in the past have successfully used chainsaws to prune Canary Island Date Palms. However, using chainsaws in Phoenix canariensis is no longer acceptable. Chainsaws spread Fusarium Wilt, a fatal fungal disease that cannot be managed. Cutting a palm with Fusiarium Wilt kicks kicks the spores of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. canariensis into the air, potentially spreading the disease far an wide. This disease is also spread through hand saws and other pruning tools, so all tools should be properly disinfected between palms.

4. Aisya

Aisya Member

5. Aisya

Aisya Member

I don't have one due to my area being very much in winter, cloudy, its also cold at the best of times.

I love the look not to be different but because I do like them, for example like that of the following CIDP.

File:Phoenix-canariensis111.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

I like the look like that on Trachicarpus too, some like the hairyness, some don't.

6. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member