Post a peek of yourself here...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Yeah exactly ~ they look like a dahlia of some kind. Truly unique.

The seeds take 30~50 days to pop, and I sowed three but only got one to sprout. The plant has been outside in the ground since last Spring, and it is now absolutely massive. If I was dressed, I'd go snap a shot right now.

They only sent me 10 seeds (cheap bastards) and I shared some with my aunt and "Rita" from Phil's place - you know who I mean, Penny.

I will order some more this Winter because they are spectacular.

: )

2. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

They sure are pretty, i have a purple columbine that i grew from seed, but missed getting seeds from it this year, i totally forgot about it, and i cant believe that i did that!!

3. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Vic,
    I question the wisdom of keeping all those aphids on the property rather than throwing them away.
    Perhaps ask about the safety of doing that in the pests section?
    When I see them on a leaf on something I get a bag and remove the leaf over the bag if I can so as not to drop any.
    If I keep a close eye this usually prevents a wholesale spread. And do grow some elsewhere next year.
    If you keep your old plants perhaps mulch with something fortifying to feed them. Plants that are weak get more bugs.
    I answered your kale questions when I was was hyper with weather-head last month and thought perhaps it was too hyper a post and removed it. It's like the opposite of the migraine swing which is very down and would never be offensive to anyone. I try to practice caution tho, sometimes after the fact.lol
    There are so many sections on this forum, try another area for better answers, really! There are people with much knowledge on this forum who do not pop in here.
    Yes, I suspected that bubble images might be old news to you. Interesting to know that they can be 'worked' even if I prefer to find my pics as they are, adjusting only the perspective and light.
    I shall peruse your links, thks for sharing.
    There are compost accelerator products for sale at the nursery but lime is one that works that way, I've read over the years. May hurt worms? May be a composting section on this site too I wouldn't doubt, in organic gardening?

Which would you rather have Vic? Racoons or rats? Dare I reveal that I practice catch and release to the wild? Sometimes it seems an overwhelming job as they keep coming, apparently for the horse chestnuts on the ground now! I didn't know that any creature could eat those things. Next time I would plant an Italian edible chestnut, if it would grow here. There are almond trees growing in Langley somewhere tho I wonder after last winter.

A fabulous sunrise here and there, I heard on the CBC this a.m. so, of course I took a look when I took out the bin to the curb, yup, and then back with the camera........a compulsion I can indulge at leisure now.

How lovely to be able to indulge our hearts desires in the garden with our cameras and inside in the winter months too!
    Hoyas have a growth spurt when the light changes in day length, sending out vining shoots naked of leaves which grow in later. Is this one plant I have read that does not like to have those new tips touched? I vaguely recall this.
    Hummy is here for breakfast now, dining on fuchsias.
    Usually the hoya shoots and blooms in the fall or late summer as mine did this year but I messed with it, re potting the old timer of 30 yrs which I also pruned back this year. Have patience if yours is a little one and even more patience if it is a variegated variety. Dry between waterings. I kept mine in the cool, very cool garage last winter 40-50F for the first time and she did just fine. Not recommending that! They like a regular room temp and do well in medium light.
    Good Day ALL,

D

4. The Hollyberry Lady

It's likely they are perennial, so you can collect some seeds next year, Penny.

I am hoping that there will be other types like my variety above, in the same series "winky", and I can order some more. This one was by far the most beautiful of the four that were offered in the series.

Maybe there'll be some more cool ones this time as well...

P.S. Love that name "hummy", Dana! I call them "hummers". We gets lost in Spring and Fall.

5. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

What seed catalogue do you order from Sherry.

Hello Dana, i agree with the camera and seeing the pictures in the dead of winter, thankfully we have that....makes the months more bearable.

6. The Hollyberry Lady

Gosh, where do I begin, Penny?

I order from William Dam, Stokes, Mckenzie seeds, Usc seeds, J.L. Hudson (California), West Coast seeds, and a couple others I just can't think of offhand - a place in P.E.I. too...

7. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I've ordered from Stokes before, and Veseys.

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, yes, Veseys!!! Knew there were some I was forgetting.

: o

I order bulbs from them too.

9. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Hmmm, there is one that sent me a catalogue recently and i dont remember asking for one, it seemed pretty good,
    Hold on, going to go and get it...........its called Richters.

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Never heard of them - where are they? Good selection?

11. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

They actually do seem pretty good, says that their mailing address is Goodwood, Ontario, very nice catalogue too.

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Gosh, I hope I'll get one - love companies in Ontario. Thanks for letting me know about them, maybe I can request a catalog online...

13. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I must have done that, although i dont recall but it says on their website that you can request a book.
    They are located near Pickering, just outside of Toronto.

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Gonna check them out - thanks again.

15. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Excellent, i see some things that i will most likely order at some point too.

16. The Hollyberry Lady

In Spring Penny, I'll send ya a cutting or two of my white Chrysanthemums.

Just took this shot a few minutes ago ~ the blooms aren't even half open yet, but check out how unique this white vareity is...

Attached Files:

17. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Thats so pretty, i am really trying to have my gardens be all perennials now, with only a few annuals here and there.

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, although Chrysanthemums usually are perennial, unfortunately this variety is not! It is better suited as an indoor potted houseplant. Mine is over a year old.

19. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Oh really, that one could be the exception then (LOL).....bringing it in wouldnt be so bad.

20. The Hollyberry Lady

No, it wouldn't be bad at all Penny, especially when it looks like the first picture! The blooms are not all open yet, but you can see how large it is, and how many buds there are. It can be pruned and kept smaller if this is too big for you, though...

Second shot, although I know will make Bob totally jealous when he sees it, are my "red currant" tomatoes that I just finished harvesting to put in a salad today. These are just today's pickings. Over the next week, there will be more...

Attached Files:

21. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Yummy, i could kick myself for not bringing in a tomato plant, ah well live and learn right.

22. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Yeah, aphids are persistent buggers and I find a daily hard spray of water for two weeks straight can be a good way to rid them.

I then continue the showers, but cutting down to twice weekly.

Yes Penny, there's always next year....

24. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Aphids, thats one thing that i didnt have an issue with this year, first time in about 3 years too.

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - there everywhere here!

: o