Please Review My Cacti!

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by HaKaur, Sep 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. HaKaur

HaKaur New Member

Dear All,

I hope everyone is well!

Please can someone help this Cacti family?

I went a bit mad buying loads of cacti at one point and I now own 6. You'd think I would wait to perfect my 'caring methods' before I buy a whole family but, I do love plants!

I will be 100% honest, I don't know much about cacti other than, not watering them too often. They are the easiest plant to keep however, I am noticing some changes.

As a complete beginner, I am trying to find out if any of my cacti are dying, or if there are any warning signs I need to look out for in order to care better for my plants.

I am searching the internet to find out why some spikes are turning yellow (three). Why some spikes look white (six) and why some spikes look very reddish/brown (four). I am reading many mixed reviews, some of which are at great length, which have confused me further.

Can someone please review all my cacti?

Many, many thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. HaKaur

HaKaur New Member

Also, can someone please tell me what is at the bottom of cactus two?

Attached Files:

3. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Nothing lethal, they actually look relatively healthy, but #6, which I think is a young Echinocactus grusonii, looks as if it needs more light. I think the two tall 'Fairy castle' cacti (#1 and #2) will need a repotting soon, and probably #5 too, columnar cacti tend to grow fast.

Differences in pigmentation, much like humans, cats, horses etc. have different hair colour. Spine colour in cacti varies with 1) species (and forms of a particular species), 2) age, young spines at the top of the plant often have a different colour than the old ones closer to the base.

Looks like salt crusts.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

This same issue came up a little earlier today; "Strange Growth on Containers". Periodic leaching of soil in the pot should help mitigate the problem.

Strange growth on containers

5. HaKaur

HaKaur New Member

Hello! Thank you so much for your reply, I'm glad that there are no serious issues! - Thanks again

6. HaKaur

HaKaur New Member

Hello Margot!

Thank you for your reply and sending this feed along to me - its very helpful!