PLEASE > NEED DESERT ROSE HELP

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by mseebeck, Nov 27, 2017.

1. mseebeck

mseebeck New Member

My Desert Rose is drooping and I have no idea why. Please help.

I have watered the same for 2 years now

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Likely too much water over too long a period of time. The trunk or stems should be much fatter. Hold off on water until you know the soil is cactus dry, and then only dampen. That should take you into early spring or late winter before you water, I'd guess. If you want to retain the plant, I would use stakes and cotton twine to hold the branches/stems more erect until the oldest parts can support the younger bits.

3. mseebeck

mseebeck New Member

Thanks for the reply. I have read a lot of things since this post and watched some you tube videos. This led me to unpot the whole plant. It indeed was much moister than I thought in there. SO I am letting the soil dry up and it was recommended that I cut off the soggy roots.

Is this a good course of action ? It’s too late now - if not - just looking for some guidance.

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Yeah, that's probably a good idea, but they would rot off if left alone too. Right now all they would be doing is retaining some of the moisture you are trying to eliminate. Do you have a clay pot to put it in? Something with a hole in the bottom for drainage. The terra cotta type unglazed clay allows some breathability for the roots to be drier.