Please help with Kwanzen Cherry tree

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by robv187, Jun 20, 2012.

1. robv187

robv187 Member

Hi everyone, i've posted here in the past. I have a kwanzen cherry tree and it's been in my backyard for 3 years now. It's always been very healthy up to this point....now on the bark and branches I'm seeing strange markings. I don't know if it's because the tree is growing or because of another reason. I know there are knowledgeable people here. Please help. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      138 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      154.9 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      111.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

What was your winter like? and what direction does that crack face?

3. robv187

robv187 Member

Thank you for your reply sea witch,

The winter was very mild, I'm in Hamilton Ontario. Most days were above seasonal and we didn't get that much snow.

Currently we're having a heat wave, I think the temperature is about 38 C with the humidity.

I always tried my best to care for this tree, I think these cracks are quite new?

I'm worried, I hope it won't die. Other then the cracks it seems to be healthy.

The cracks, not sure what is meant by what side they are facing, but, they are in the back and the front of the tree, and even on some branches.

By the photos, do you think its weather related? What can I do, if anything for this tree, and is it serious?

I know kwanzan's are quite fragile, I would hate it if this leads it open to infection or infestation.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

What side of the tree == north-facing? southeast-facing? etc.

5. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

robv187, you're welcome. I'm sure some ornamental cherry experts (not me) will chime in, but I don't think that looks bad at all. I know those trees are known for thin bark. Hang tight and see what the others say.

By direction, I mean do those cracks face south where it is in the sun all day or does it face east where it gets only morning sun or does it face north where it gets very little direct sun?

thanks Daniel ;o)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  6. robv187

robv187 Member

Thank you again, although you say you're not an expert, I always appreciate the help.

I visited Japan 4 years ago and fell in love with the sakura there, and this tree has some sentimental value to me. I know they are popular in Vancouver.

To answer the question with the direction, they would be mostly west, it's 7 pm right now and they are in direct sun light.

There are some on the opposite side too, not as many I think, but east in this case. Don't think I see any north or south facing if it helps.

This tree has seemed to grow quite a bit in 3 years time, i'm wondering if it's growing so rapidly that the bark split. I wish I knew.

Thank you also Daniel for your help.