Propagation: Please help me to save my spruce tree

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by akapilkopruano, Jan 30, 2019.

1. akapilkopruano

akapilkopruano New Member

Hello everyone! I was growing a decorative spruce from seeds in my apartment for about a year and it was fine till the end of summer when it stopped growing and began to wither. So that's how the sprouts look now...

I suppose at least one of them is alive and I want to save it. Please tell me what I should do for this.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The soil looks too wet (encourages fungal diseases), and it is also too warm indoors - spruces need a proper winter to grow well. They should have been put outside in the autumn when it started to get cold (don't do this now, the sudden cold shock would not help!).

3. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

If you have an unheated room in the house or an outhouse I would keep it in there until spring and all the frosts have gone and acclimatise it to a life outdoors. But if the soil is very wet I'd repot into fresh soil, checking the roots as you do. Its likely that the sicklier looking ones have lost most of their roots and it could be too late for them.

4. akapilkopruano

akapilkopruano New Member

Thank you all for the answers, but I have no unheated room in my apartment, only an open balcony where is too cold. And I was afraid they won't survive changing of the soil so I was only watering them but they... didn't make it. I recieved them as a gift and wasn't able to make them live... I'm devastated.