Identification: Please help ID tropical houseplant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Becca, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Becca

Becca Member

I've just purchased this houseplant because I love its foliage, but I have no idea what it is and consequently I have no idea how to care for it! The backs of its leaves are very purple, while the fronts are striped green and lighter green and they seem to reflect light in a sparkly manner. Also of interest - it seems to drop branches of itself perhaps as a means of propagation. please see the photos I've provided. Any ideas as to what it might be would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

It's a Tradescantia zebrina, syn. Zebrina pendula, aka wandering jew

3. schwatka

schwatka Member

To care for your wandering jew, simply treat it as you would any other houseplant. These plants grow very vigorously and tend to get very long and straggly during winter. Pinching back the tips help to create a very bushy plant. To propogate, simply take cuttings from the tips to about 12 inches back. Put them in water to root and plant them when you have a good growth of new roots.

4. I was looking to id my own plant but saw your message. You probably already have your answer, but your plant looks like a Wandering Jew. Mine likes some sun, but not too hot and to dry out a little between waterings. You can also clip some and place in water to root and make a new plant very easily.

5. I also have this plant, two actually, one under shade on my porch, and one in my house, with indirect bright light. The one on the porch seems to be doing better. The plant inside constantly has leaves that are turning brown, dropping, and others turning yellow. Not enough humidity? Light? Any help is welcome! Thanks

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

it could b that it is not gettin enough light .. and it does like to b misted ..as do alot of plants they like the humidity .. and with the wandering jews they are so easy to root u can just take a clipping and make sure u take the last couple of leaves off the bottom .. that is were the roots will form .. it is called the node .. and u can just plant them directly in the dirt if you want .. they are one of the easiest plants to root .. i have about 8 different kinds and i find the Bolivian Jew to root the fastest .. it just has to touch moist soil and it will root .. ive mailed some unrooted cuttings to ppl and it was rooted by the time it got to them .

good luck

Marn