Identification: Please help before I kill it!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by KelleyLMT, Feb 26, 2005.

1. KelleyLMT

KelleyLMT Member

Hello all, I used this site about a year ago to get an ID on a plant i knew nothing about. I received several very helpful responses and can say that the plant is doing wonderfully! So, this was the first place I thought of to help me with another plant..
    I purchased 2 little plants at home depot because they had very interesting leaves and the colors would look great in my kitchen. Unfortunately, I threw away those darn little stakes that tell you how to care for the plants. Now I have no Idea, and they're not doing real well. I tried some searches on my own to find out what they are, but no luck. I'm possitive someone here can tell me..
    I'm posting some pics but I'm not sure how clear they are so I'll describe a bit.. very green, longer leaves with lots of yellow stripes in them. Some of the leaves are long, while others look kind of like a mitten.. some of the leaves are now growing a very thin little string off of the top and a teeny weeny leaf is forming at the end. you'll see what i mean in the pic. Theyre really nice plants, but I'm afraid theyre not doing really well..I'm sure thats my fault.
    I would be very appreciative if someone could tell me what they are, and also the best way to care for them....sunlight, water...and whatever else.
    thank you so much for your time, look forward to hearing your responses.
    Kelley

Attached Files:

2. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Kelly,
    Looks like Croton to me. Crotons are tropical and they like hot and dry conditions. Keeping the soil a little on the dry side also helps; not as dry as you would with cactuses. Please check up infor for this group of plants in books on tropical indoor plants.
    Peace
    Thean

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years