Please Help -- Any Ideas What Maple This Is?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JerryRaack, May 27, 2014.

1. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

Hi everyone,
    Hope your winter was better than ours in this part of the country (just outside Columbus, Ohio == recently reassigned to zone 6, but temps went down a number of times to -20 to -24* F). Lost a few things where I was stretching zones, and had damage to a number of things that were supposed to be hardy to zone 5. Other things (Cornus kousa's) just did not bloom for the first time in many many years.
    Anyway, a few years back (maybe 6 or 7) I bought this Acer palmatum cultivar from a local wholesale nursery (back when I ran a tree/shrub area for a retail nursery in the area). It did not have a tag, but it was very slightly variegated. They gave it to me for a great price. It has grown well over the years and is now about 12 feet tall (at least). Some years when it is very hot, it has very little variegation, and other years (like this year) it has quite a bit. I can't identify what it is, but I was hoping all of you might have some ideas of what cultivar it is. In the fall it has buttery-yellow foliage.
    Thanks for your help and ideas,
    Jerry

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Compare with 'Ukigumo'.

3. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

Ron,
    I have compared it. I have seen quite a number of examples of 'Ukigumo', and all were more heavily variegated than what I have, and more consistent from year to year.

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Jerry,

I think it's likely Ukigumo also. I'm a bit surprised at your comment about consistency, most seem to find the opposite AFAIK. Personally I do see quite a range of variegation, year to year, on Ukigumo.

-E

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The leaf shape and form looks very much like 'Ukigumo'. I would agree that many people report inconsistency of variegation from Ukigumo from year to year, and some reporting that a reverted plant, or reverted parts of a plant, will not return to variegation. There has also been put forward the theory that there are two different forms on the market in the US under this name, each with slightly different characteristics.

6. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

I wondered if there aren't differences in some of the 'Ukigumo's out there, although if they are true 'Ukigumo', they should be grafted and not differ I would think. However, I can assure you that whatever I have varies from year to year, and the variegation will lessen considerably as the weather turns hotter here. I've now had it for about 6 years and see the inconsistency in the amount of variegation. Wish mine would keep the variegation amount it has now as it is very beautiful against the darker green foliage of the woods behind it.
    Is there any other cultivar that anyone knows about that is similar to this, but with a different name? I've got the 4th edition of "Japanese Maples" by Vertrees & Gregory, and I've perused the web, but can't find anything else similar.