Identification: Plant Identification Help Requested

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mark sooke, Mar 8, 2010.

1. mark sooke

mark sooke Member

I have a new acreage and am just learning about gardening on lower Vancouver Island. I've attached photos of some plants growing on my property that I don't about. I suspect some or all are very common.

Blue Flowers: lots of these small plants growing in a shady area and are in bloom right now.

Pink Flower: Very small delicate light pink flowers that are just finishing their bloom now.

Plant 1: Large shrub with very scented small white flowers. I've smelled them elsewhere around town but I don't know what they are. They are just finishing their bloom now and the leaves are coming out.

Plant 2: A common plant found all around the cedar woodland on my property. Some are growing out of an old decaying cedar log. Green stick-like stems with red buds opening up to green leaves and little bell-like flowers.

Thanks for your help.
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

#3 is Red Huckleberry, Vaccinium parvifolium.

4. tiger_lily

tiger_lily Active Member 10 Years

You've inherited a great yard! Red huckleberry is a wonderful treat - sour, but nice - it seems to need the rotting stumps or logs as a base. Oemleria is also called "Indian Plum", is native to BC's west coast, and is very pretty in Spring. Enjoy!

5. stephers

stephers Member

The first one is definitely periwinkle and I think the second one looks like glory of white snow.